Train is not working properly

Started by JeffWolfe, December 21, 2014, 11:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffWolfe

We set up our Chattanooga HO set for Christmas. The train will only make it halfway around track before it stops. We have checked to make sure the tracks are set up properly. Any thoughts?

Doneldon

Jeff-

The most likely explanation by far is dirty track and/or wheels. You clean them with non-abrasive products. If you have EZTrack, you'll want to make sure that whatever you use won't harm the plastic roadbed. A good choice would be one of the track cleaning "erasers" sold at hobby shops. You can also use Wahl Clipper Oil and a course fabric like terrycloth. Wipe off as much of the Wahl oil as possible but a tiny bit is okay because it will help keep your track clean.

Since your train only makes it part of the way around your layout and it is a seasonal one which is assembled and disassembled, you may also have conductance problems through your rail joiners. I'm unaware of a safe and reliable way to tighten them  but you can workaround the issue by running a couple of extra feeders from your power pack to different places on the layout. Just solder the wires to your rails (on the outside) or rail joiners.

The Chattanooga is of typical train set quality. That means it was built more for economy than long-term service. Accordingly, you probably have plastic wheels. These are notorious for making track dirty and for spreading the dirt around. You can reduce your need for future cleaning if you replace the plastic wheels with metal ones. However, I'm not so sure it would be worth the time, effort and expense on a temporary, seasonal layout.

The loco in the Chattanooga set can benefit from added weight if you can squeeze some in. This will both improve the loco's contact with the rails for electrical conductivity and give it some more pulling power.

Good luck with your holiday train!
                                                       -- D

GordonBPitre

We just set up the same set and had the same problem. In addition, the wheels keep coming off the track. Also, how does the coal car hook up to the locomotive. There's no eye on the back.

jward

there is a slot under the cab of the engine that the hook on the tender slides in.

when the train stops halfway around the track, does it sputter to a stop (dirty track) or does it stop all of a sudden (poor electrical connection between track sections)

is the location where it stops far away from the track feeder/rerailer section? if so, how much further do you have to push the engine before it starts running again? if you have poor electrical connections between tracks, those spots should be where the connection is open.

as for the derailments, make sure all rails are seated inside the rail joiners. if they are not seated correctly, i.e, the rail sits on top of the joiner, you should feel a bump when you run your finger along the top of the rail.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

GordonBPitre

the train makes about four to five rounds then stops. the coal car usually come off the track [back wheels only] then proceeds to make the other cars come off. the tracks seem to fit together good, as I feel no bumps. it is on a hard level surface. any ideas would be appreciated, or do I need to call custmore service? thank you