News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

metal wheels on rolling stock

Started by pellsjames, January 02, 2015, 12:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pellsjames

Hello
Was wondering about metal wheels on rolling stock on electrified rail is it o.k. or will there be problems. The rail is solid brass. Thanks pellsjames
Second question We had a small railroad where I live and they used 3 different type of locomotives. The railroad is long gone but I would like to duplicate it as much as possible. Spectrum has 2 of the types which I have purchased but the 2-6-0 was a wood burner and had the large smoke stack the other wasa 4-4-0 and was a oil burner I have changed the tenders but was curious if bachmann sold interchangeable stacks. The 4-4-0 was just a straight stack similar to whats on the 4-6-0's. The last loco that was used was a 4-6-0 all which ran on narrow gauge track. Also any help about finding a g-scale oil burning tender that might be compatible with the spectrum 4-4-0. Thanks pellsjames

Chuck N

Most metal wheel sets will work, I don't know of any that won't.  As long as one of the wheels is insulated you'll be fine.

They will improve the running of your cars.  They lower the center of gravity and add weight.  All of which helps minimize derailments.

Bachmann makes reasonably priced wheel sets in several different diameters.

Chuck

Kevin Strong

As Chuck stated, most (all?) commercially available metal wheel sets for large scale are insulated so that shorting across the rails will not be an issue.

In terms of parts for your locomotive projects, check with Bachmann's online parts store. You can buy stacks from various locomotives. You'll have to click on each specific locomotive to look at the stacks available, there's not a "stacks" tab that will give you all the stacks Bachmann sells. For a straight stack, try the C-19 or the outside frame 2-8-0. Both of them came with straight stacks. Other locos may have them as well, but I think those two are going to be your best options.

You're on your own for the oil bunker. You're going to have to scratchbuild that to fit the tender. There was a company who made oil bunker castings for the Shay, but they've long since closed up shop, and never expanded the line to other locos. Fortunately, oil bunkers are pretty straightforward. A block of wood and some thin sheets of styrene should get you well on your way.

Later,

K

Chuck N

A little more clarification on metal wheels.  Many live steam locomotives in "G" gauge do not have insulated wheels.  If these are put on a track with electrons, they will short out.

Chuck