News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Couplers

Started by edwardelucas, December 22, 2014, 03:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwardelucas

I have a Bachmann Spectrum F40PH Amtrak locomotive (Model # 87001 )that has horn hook couplers. I am trying to use it with Athern Amtrak coaches which have knuckle couplers. Does anyone know which knuckle coupler I need to buy to mount on the locomotive to make the two compatible?

ACY

Bachmann EZ-Mate MK II standard couplers would work or Kadee #148 (or #5).

bevernie

Just a "cheap" suggestion, but you could put a knuckle coupler on the front car, and that would be an "easy-fix"!! ;D
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

ACY

Quote from: bevernie on December 22, 2014, 06:22:58 PM
Just a "cheap" suggestion, but you could put a knuckle coupler on the front car, and that would be an "easy-fix"!! ;D
The passenger cars already have knuckle couplers so that doesn't accomplish anything whatsoever. He needs to  switch out the couplers on the locomotive.

fs2k4pilot

Does the F40PH have body-mounted or truck-mounted couplers?  I also suggest EZ Mate Mk II couplers.  Bachmann sometimes makes their coupler pockets a bit on the shallow side.  This can make Kadee couplers bind if you tighten the screw too much.

Another option would be to make a transition car, with a horn/hook on one end, and a knuckle coupler on the other.

Len

All of the pictures I can find of the Spectrum F40PH show it with 'Under Shank' knuckle couplers.

This would be the EZ-Mate model #78028 medium underset shank, which would be the easiest way to convert your loco.

If you want metal couplers, then it would be the Kadee #37  using a modifed 20-series coupler box. Instructions for doing the modification can be found here: http://www.kadee.com/conv/pdf/b32.pdf

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

Quote from: fs2k4pilot on December 24, 2014, 03:31:13 AM
Another option would be to make a transition car, with a horn/hook on one end, and a knuckle coupler on the other.
This is generally not a good idea because if he needed to reverse his train for any reason there would be a good chance of a derailment or the locomotive uncoupling from the train. It is a simple enough job to put knuckle couplers on the locomotive, it isn't like doing so would be in any way difficult or prohibitive.
Although there are cases where converting to knuckle couplers can be difficult, this is not one such case.