News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Durango & Silverton Locomotive motor

Started by ibobl, December 26, 2014, 06:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibobl

Yesterday the grandkids burnt out the motor (RS-385SA-2073) on grandma's Durango & Silverton locomotive.  I found a replacement motor online, but it doesn't have the worm gear.  Can I remove the gear from the bad motor and install it on the new one (how)?  If not, can I get a new motor with the gear attached?

Thanks,

Bob L

Chuck N

Contact Bachmann's service/parts department for some of those engines they have full replacement motor blocks for $30.  No muss, no fuss.

Chuck

ibobl

Chuck,
Already found the $30 replacement block, but since I have the old one torn apart I thought I would see if I could replace the motor and try to reassemble it :)

Hunt

If your locomotive is Bachmann large scale 4-6-0 then
Click Here   Have you considered it?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi!  It is not easy getting the worm gear off.  You could try using a small needle nose pliers and put it over the shaft behind the gear and use a small hobby hammer and tap on the end of the pliers to push the gear off the shaft.  Heating the brass worm gear will help.  If you get it off without damage you can use a small brass tube or something hollow slightly larger than the axle and try to tap the gear on to the new motor shaft.  I would use loctite blue on the shaft as you position the gear to the correct location on the shaft.

If you try this and bust it up, the replacement chassis mentioned by Hunt are a great deal!!

Good luck

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!