News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

No sound- Silverado

Started by brightbluefx2, December 23, 2014, 10:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brightbluefx2

I just received the Large scale Silverado train set and can not get the sound to work, I have a new 9V battery installed correctly, the adjustable knob turned up under the car, and the wires correctly plugged into the back of the engine, with the master switch on.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi BB,

The two most common problems are:

That new 9v battery may not be as good as it should be(possibly old stock).  Try a different 9 volt battery from a different preferably new package.

The 9V battery is not installed with the correct polarity.   There should be a little paper sticker under the hatch for the battery that shows the correct polarity. If not try reversing the battery in the housing.

If no luck check back with us!!

Have fun.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

brightbluefx2

Thanks for the info Bill, but unfortunately I tried all of this, and still no luck. I'm waiting for the local Hobby Town USA to open, to see if they will exchange it.

Loco Bill Canelos

HeyBB,
Sorry to hear your sound is still not working. Since you have the master switch on the loco in the down position, and the switch under the tender in the on position with the volume in the full loud position and a correctly installed fresh battery the only other possibilities are one of the pins in the plug in the sound wire to the chuff sensor is bent, the chuff sensor is not making contact, or the unit itself is defective.  Here is a little test you can do if you feel you want to.

Get a very thin piece of wire and strip both ends . turn the volume control on the tender full on.  bend the wire into a tiny "u" shape and put the ends into holes in the sound wire plug on the tender. If you get a chuff when you do this, but not when plugged into the loco you will know the sound unit is OK and the problem is with the other end of the plug or the chuff sensor.

If you decide to try the test let us know the results and check to see if one of the pins on the plug is bent.

If your hobby shop is out of stock or can't fix it you might want to give Bachmann Service a call since you are under full warranty.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

Hope you get it going soon and have fun in spite of the frustration with the sound!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

A Trainman

Hi BB,

One other thing you might look at is the battery contacts. I had a problem with one of my tender's where one of contacts were bent down and didn't make contact with one of the battery contacts. I would put a small piece of rolled up paper under the hatch to push the battery down until I finally removed the tinder body and slightly bent the two contacts up. now it works fine.

Good luck.

Adam