Synchronizing engine speed between HO f7A and FTA Sante Fe Engines

Started by gehdoc97, December 23, 2014, 01:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gehdoc97

I recently purchased an F7-A Sante Fe Warbonnet HO engine with sound.  I have put my non sound FT-A Sante Fe engine behind it. 
I noticed the second engine seems to "push" the first and at times is enough to derail the back wheels on the first.

Is there a way to synchronize the speeds of the two engines to stop this from happening?

Thank you

gehdoc97

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

gehdoc97

Yes - it is also DCC - it is just that the engine was not equipped with sound when it came in the train set  I purchased .

ACY

Quote from: gehdoc97 on December 23, 2014, 03:10:48 PM
Yes - it is also DCC - it is just that the engine was not equipped with sound when it came in the train set  I purchased .
You can run the FT-A as the lead engine and the F7-A as the trailing engine and it should be fine as long as you don't need to go in reverse. Alternatively if you have an advanced DCC system you can alter some of the CV's in the sound engine to match the other locomotive. What DCC system do you have?

gehdoc97

ACY
I have the E-Z Command Control Center DCC which came with the set I purchased.
I read the manual and there were no instructions on how to adjust the train speeds to match each other.
I have looked at alot of YouTube Train videos where they have mentioned this is possible but maybe not
on this set etc?

Thanks for your help!

gehdoc97

bapguy

The DCC system you have is basic and won't program CV's except for the loco address(1 to 9) and direction of travel. You need to have a system that can program CV's or get a computer interface and use JMRI decoder pro. I use a Digitrax PR3 and 18V power supply to program my decoders. I use a custom speed table as Tsunamis don't have CV5 and 6. If the decoder in the FT-A is the Bachmann one, replace it with one from NCE:   https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200945019-BACH-DSL    This is a good decoder and works better then the Bachmann one.    JMRI:    http://jmri.sourceforge.net/                                   Joe

JerryB

In addition to the above replies:

The latest issue of the NMRA Magazine has a very detailed article explaining how to match locomotive speeds using DCC. Note that the name for this matching is 'Consisting.'

Try borrowing a copy of that article from an NMRA member, or contact the NMRA and ask if it is available on-line, or as a reprint.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

jward

the basic Bachmann decoder in the ft may not support cvs 5 or 6 an therefore its speed will not be adjustable unless you replace the decoder. if this is the case, you;ll have to raise the top speed of the f7 to match the ft. since you have a basic dcc system that is not capable of doing this, I would see if there is a local train club that might adjust things for you. most clubs have a dcc expert, as well as others with various areas of expertise. in most cases, they will be happy to help you.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

mabloodhound

Yes, check with a local train club or maybe there's a hobby shop in your area that does DCC installs.   It won't take long to program them so the speed matches.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security