News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams speaker

Started by Dieseler, December 23, 2014, 08:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieseler

Does anyone know the "ohm" of the older speaker used in williams o gauge diesel's the one set  in a black plastic case
came with what was called back then true sounds(leaving track announcement,bell,horn and rev sounds)  from the 1990s ?
Thanks

Dieseler

Took speaker out of its baffle it is a 16ohm speaker .
Thought speaker was bad but not the case the ole true sound board went bad , when 10 volts applied the board
components get too hot to touch after 1 minute .
Good thing yesterday when sound stopped i quit running the dummy unit .

Len

You'll loose the announcements and diesel revs, but it's fairly simple to install a TrueBlast II Diesel Sound kit in the older units. Just a basic two wire connection to the pick-ups and ground.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

phillyreading

I like the older station announcement system from QSI in the Crown Edition and would try to save the system if it was me. Try to tighten or clean the electrical connections inside the unpowered unit. Clean the wheels(all wheels, even the center rail roller) of the truck assembly on the diesel engine that has the sound unit as this helps the electrical path to work better.

True Blast 2 don't have all the features of station sounds.

Lee F.

Dieseler

Len,
thanks i thought about that very easy to do but may just leave it as i have several others with the true blast 2 but not crazy about
the grade crossing blast.

Lee yes they are or were very nice , the pair i bought a while back had very little run time perhaps a few times if that around track as the wheels and rollers looked new really new they still do as i only ran it a few times before sound suddenly stopped.

Checked the wires going to board put small tip soldering gun on them to make sure they were good joints but same result
afterward.
For now i'll just leave board out and perhaps 1 cold winter day (probably soon) look at it again .

At this point i suspect one of those things on the board went bad as i could not see anything externally even with my jewelers eyepiece.

Bob Banjany

Can I install the true blast II in any manufacturer diesel ..? I am thinking ..yes..just need to connect the red and black wire to the pickup and ground..Is that all there is to it..? 

Len

Bob,

Yes, and yes.

The steam or diesel True Blast/True Blast II can be installed in just about anyone's locomotive that has space for it.

Before I retired from my repair shop, I put the diesel TB sound units in many post-war Lionel and Marx diesels. It eliminates the battery, and usually fits in the space where the old horn was. I also installed the steam TB in the tender of old "Sound of Steam" locos with bad PC boards, and "upgraded" air whistle tenders.

And it is a simple two wire installation. Red to the center rail "hot" from the pick-ups, and black to the outside rail "return". Either through the chassis, or return side wiper on plastic trucks. I usually used double sided mounting pads, or a dab of silicon sealer, to keep things from moving around.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Bob Banjany

Thank you Len..I just bought 2 brand new TB II Diesel versions online for a very good price.. One I will use to replace the issue in the Erie's ( I had posted -you assisted me)  .. The other I will put in a Lionel/Kline Diesel (GP-9 or Mp-15)

Thank you..