News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dual-gauge track

Started by r.cprmier, October 23, 2007, 01:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.cprmier

I just saw a picture of a railroad scene in Bengladesh, and there appears to be dual gauge.  I know that India has wide-gauge track-or at least used to, but what is the narrow gauge track work out to?

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

SteamGene

Rich,
I believe I've heard of meter gauge in India.  And there may be three foot, left over from the Raj. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

r.cprmier

Gene;
I know from pics I have seen of road units with wide-gauge trucks, being loaded onto vessels for shipment to India.  I can see maybe that narrow gauge working out to being metre gauge. At any rate, it did catch my eye as unusual.

Rich
Rich

Jake

Quote from: SteamGene on October 23, 2007, 05:21:28 PM
Rich,
I believe I've heard of meter gauge in India.  And there may be three foot, left over from the Raj. 
Gene

I beleive that it is indeed metre gauge track. I'm not sure though, *Checks Wikipedia* Yep, its metre guage, 30" gauge & a little 2' gauge.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

r.cprmier

Two-foot and metric!  Wow!  Now that is different; or as they say:  A prototype for everything...
Thanks for the feedback, Jake and Gene.
RIch
Rich

Hamish K

Some interesting information can be found at
www.irfca.org/faq/faq-gauge.html

India had considersably more 30 inch gauge than 2 foot. Metre gauge seems to have come about because India was looking at adopting the metric system, although that didn't happen then. As well as dual broad gauge (5 foot 6 inches) and mtere there were examples of dual broad and narrow (30 inch) and metre and 30 inch track. In one case a metre gauge loco hauled 30 inch gauge stock on dual gauge track.  That would be interesting in model form, and prototypical as well!

Hamish