News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

creating baffle for tender speaker

Started by billgiannelli, December 29, 2014, 08:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgiannelli

Hello all!
I have installed a Digitrax SDXH166D sound decoder into my tender for my USRA 0-6-0.
I want to create a baffle for the speaker; which is 16 X 26 X 9 mm.
What is the best way to go about this?
What is the best material? Styrene? Cork?
thanks
Bill

AGSB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JIf96jeDQ

This is a link to Part 1 of a 5 part video series by Bruce Petrarca on constructing and installing speaker baffles. Each one is short and well done. Bruce runs the web site DCC University and writes a column in Model Railroad Hobbyist Magazine.

ALCO0001

Actually wood or card stock is the best speaker enclosure material Stringed instruments use particular types of wood for there great acoustic property's like a stradivarius voilen  does .Hope this helps.
Jack

Hunt

Bill, the tender shell can suffice as the baffle depending on how speaker installed.
Click Here refer to Figure 3, page  8

Key – sound waves created by the movement of the back of the speaker need to be prevented from coming in contact with the sound waves created by the front of the speaker.

ACY's stringed instrument example is not applicable.

ACY

Hunt I have not commented on this thread until just now. I don't know anything about string instruments either.

Hunt

Indeed ACY, the credit for the not applicable example does not belong to you.   

electrical whiz kid

With 50 years of semi-pro experience in music, specifically, guitar amplification, my experience with same is best achieved with a balanced system, or tuned speaker enclosure.  Tender speakers are really too small to get too nuts over tuning, but the speaker does need to be enclosed.  The two mediums are somewhat related, but the sound spectrum of a DCC system, etc.; is limited.
Rich (SGT C)

billgiannelli

Thank you all for all your help and responses.
I made a simple box out of spare thin plastic I had.
The improvement was dramatic!
Sounds much clearer!
thank you!!!!! :)