News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Coupler problems?

Started by msherrod@hot.rr.com, December 27, 2014, 09:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msherrod@hot.rr.com

I have had quite a challenge trying to get the cars on my "Liberty Bell" train to couple together. They simply won't lock together? Laura at the office has twice tried to guide me through the process but I must be especially stupid because I still cannot get them hooked together? Is there a step-by-step guide available showing how to do this for dummies like myself? Are there easier couplers that can be used?

Mike Sherrod

Doneldon

ms-

What kind of couplers are you using and what kind of rolling stock do you have?
This information will help us give you a good answer. Otherwise, we'd just be
speculating and that's a recipe for failure.
                                                                -- D

jbrock27

And BTW Mike, you should not post your email out here-you will subject yourself to spammers and other unwanteds picking up your email address.

Are the couplers you have shaped like the hands on a GI Joe?  Like how someone would hold a beer, only w/o the beer?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Quote from: jbrock27 on December 27, 2014, 12:06:06 PM
Are the couplers you have shaped like the hands on a GI Joe?  Like how someone would hold a beer, only w/o the beer?

Jim-

Really??? There are hands without beer in them? Where can I go to see this phenomenon?

-- D

jbrock27

A place where they serve invisible drinks :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Ken G Price

Quote from: msherrod@hot.rr.com on December 27, 2014, 09:55:58 AM
I have had quite a challenge trying to get the cars on my "Liberty Bell" train to couple together. They simply won't lock together? Laura at the office has twice tried to guide me through the process but I must be especially stupid because I still cannot get them hooked together? Is there a step-by-step guide available showing how to do this for dummies like myself? Are there easier couplers that can be used?

Mike Sherrod
Your cars may have the non opening couplers. If so then just lift the end of one car so the couplers can slip in too each other. 
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

msherrod@hot.rr.com

I have the HO Liberty Bell Train. Yes they do look like a hand w/o the beer.

jbrock27

Thanks Mike

Do they have a little metal spring on the coupler head near where they hinge?  Or just pastic?
Keep Calm and Carry On

msherrod@hot.rr.com

Just plastic with a small metal stem shaped like a J hanging from each coupler.

jbrock27

I would replace them with Bachmann EZ Mate Mark II couplers.  These should be drop in replacements for the ones you have and they will have a little copper spring instead of just plastic.  These are much better than the Bachmann version you have.

How is the height of the couplers as they are now?
Keep Calm and Carry On

msherrod@hot.rr.com

Thanks so much. I'll get on the Bachmann web site and order some tonight. The height seems OK as the couplers (even with the metal stem that hangs down from it) do not touch anything as the train moves along.

Mike

Doneldon

Quote from: msherrod@hot.rr.com on January 01, 2015, 10:33:07 PM
The height seems OK as the couplers (even with the metal stem that hangs down from it) do not touch anything as the train moves along.Mike

Mike-

The main importance of coupler height is that couplers at the same height are much more likely to stay coupled than
couplers which are at different heights. If they don't match, they can detach due to the normal irregularities in track
or, especially, at the beginning or end of a grade.
                                                                           -- D

msherrod@hot.rr.com

Got it. More of a common sense issue. It stands to reason, right?

msherrod@hot.rr.com

I went to the Bachmann 2014 catalog and on page 121, I found the following choices:
EZ Mate Mark II Magnetic Knuckle Couplers with metal coil spring:
Item #
78021.   Over shank-long.
78022.   Over shank-Medium.
78024-   Center shank-long.
78025.   Center shank-Medium.
78026.   Center shank-short.
78027    Unger shank-long.
78028.   Under shank-Medium.
78029.   Under shank-short.
These all look like the couplers I already have but mine are black and the catalog ones are copper colored.
Also, a Ne coupler:
Item #
78035    New EZ Mate Mark II - Fits into standard European coupler pockets. Do I have the European version?

Most of these couplers come in packet form containing several couplers so I ant to make sure I get the correct Item # above for my train (The Liberty Bell Model).
Mike

Len

My '1860' style cars use medium center shank couplers.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.