News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which scale to choose

Started by dhirajkarmalkar, December 27, 2014, 09:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhirajkarmalkar

Dear all.

I am new to the model train set, but I always wanted to build one from child hood.

I am confused to start with HO Scale or N Scale. I really appreciate if get guidance on this one.

I have got N scale thunder valley train set but it tricky to keep it running. I tried finding more on internet but seems like very limited options available on this scale compared to HO Scale.

Thank you.

With best regards,
Dhiraj

Piyer

Hi Dhiraj,

Yes, there are fewer offerings in N-scale than in HO, but there is definitely enough out there so as to not totally cripple us N-scalers.  ;)

Factors in choosing one scale over another include how much you can afford to spend, how much space you have, and what type of model railroad interests you - some scales are better suited to certain things than other scales are due to, in part, equipment availability.

Starter sets are an... *ahem* economic way of entering the hobby, but, ironically, they don't always present the best impression of reliability to the beginner. N-scale equipment can be as reliable as HO or O scales. Reaching and maintaining that reliability is one of the skill sets that you'll learn as a model railroader. It's truly part of the fun of model railroading.

So... if you'd kindly tell us a little bit more about what space you have available, what interests you about model railroading - or railroads in general, and what skills you have - can you build a piece of furniture from scratch, or are you more the type that ends up in the emergency room every time you try to hammer a nail in the wall?  ;D  The more we know about you, the easier it is for us to offer suggestions.
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

Doneldon

Dhiraj-

It's certainly true that there are a lot more resources and merchandise for sale in HO compared to N. But that's not the only consideration. Your available space is a major factor. People and written materials will tell you that HO is roughly twice the size of N (roughly 1:87 compared to 1:160) but that's really not true. HO takes more like four times the area because it is nearly twice as long and twice as wide as N. It's also about twice as high which becomes a factor if you plan a layout with elevation changes or, especially, a multi-level layout.

The general rule of thumb for modelers with space constraints (most of us) is the N-scale is best for layouts which feature long trains moving through broad vistas while HO is more suited to a layout which emphasizes switching and operations over just running trains continuously. This is only a guideline, of course, not a rigid rule. And both types of layout are legitimate and worthwhile. It all depends on your preferences.

Other things to look at are cost, whether the kinds of equipment you want to run is available in either scale, your preferred railroad(s), the time you want to model, and the nature of the landscape you envision.
                                                                                                                                             -- D

dhirajkarmalkar

Thank you Piyer and Doneldon. I live in a apartment so space is makes lot of difference and off course money :).

I am looking for different types of locomotives with sound and steam, which really makes train model realistic. Again please guide me if I am mistaking anywhere.

This is my first train set, so I really don't have much knowledge about it. but when I search over internet for N-scale I didn't find much information also, lot of videos on youtube have HO scale than N-scale :(.

Thank you again!

Regards,
Dhiraj

jward

if you do continue with n scale, be sure that you set it up in as clean an environment as possible. n scale trains do not like a dusty environment.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

If you want locomotives with factory installed sound then HO has much more available and there is much more space to install sound. N scale has a very slim selection of steam locomotives with sound compared to HO. And Bachmann does not make any N scale steam locomotives with sound but I believe a few will be available this coming year.

Just for clarity are you looking for a steam engine or a diesel/electric? Since you mentioned steam in your second post I was guessing that you were looking for a steam engine with sound.

Bucksco

Bachmann produces a Union Pacific DD40 with DCC/sound and a Berkshire steam loco with sound will be available shortly.

jbrock27

If you have the room, I say go for HO.  And by room, I don't mean you need to have the space for a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood in the middle of a room.  You can always have a layout that runs along the walls of the room, running along 2 or more walls.  Alot will also be determined by what kind, or size/length locos you want to play with.  Shorter locos and ones with fewer axles can handle tighter curves and shorter turnouts (switches).  The DD40 would not be one of these locos for example.   Same applies to shorter cars vs. longer cars.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Ken G Price

Quote from: jward on December 27, 2014, 11:41:32 PM
if you do continue with n scale, be sure that you set it up in as clean an environment as possible. n scale trains do not like a dusty environment.

Then I must be blessed as my N-Scale DCC layout is always covered in dust from the road.
It is in a non climate controlled space with way to many openings to the outside. Mostly bad in the hotter months.
But since I make sure the engine wheels are cleaned often and the track is wiped down when needed my N scale engines run very good.

It does take more effort then if is was in side a climate controlled room, but to have the sized layout I wanted, it is what it is.

I do not have any sound, but if you really need to have it, then HO is the way to go. Way more selection and quality of the sound.

Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

RAM

I keep hearing 4 by 8.  4 by 8 is find it you trains to go around & around.   If you like switching cars than you can have 1 by 12.  It all depends on what you like to do.  Model Railroader in the past year has come out with some books on small layouts that are very interesting. 

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

dhirajkarmalkar

Thank you so much for help!

Decided! going with HO Scale.

Thank you again!