older white box brill trolley with cracked axle gears

Started by Artfull Dodger, December 28, 2014, 04:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artfull Dodger

I have an older white box era brill trolley, green "desire st" paint scheme, that has both axle gears split.  This renders the trolley non operational.   I inquired about sending her in, just want to make sure Bachmann has some trolleys in stock incase a replacement is needed.  I have zero use for a diesel or steam engine, wouldnt look right running around tight radius street trackage.    Thanks in advance.  Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

ACY

You can send it in, but honestly you can buy a new one for less than the repair/replacement fee and shipping. Your old trolley most likely won't be repaired. New Bachmann trolleys can be found for about $30 at MB Klein.

Artfull Dodger

So what your saying is the warrenty is worthless as the paper its written on, since I can buy one cheaper than them replacing it under warrenty, which is what they should do.  Its Bachmann's second rate quality of plastic thats the problem, and it shouldn't be the my problem.   

ACY

Quote from: artfull dodger on December 28, 2014, 05:20:19 PM
So what your saying is the warrenty is worthless as the paper its written on, since I can buy one cheaper than them replacing it under warrenty, which is what they should do.
No what I am saying is that the warranty only covers a free repair or replacement within on year of purchase. Beyond the first year you must pay a $25 service fee plus cover shipping to Bachmann. The MSRP of a new trolley is actually $60, it just so happens MB Klein has them for half off ($30). The warranty service/replacement is more useful for more expensive locomotives.

If you read the fine print you will read that it is not covered for free replacement beyond one year of the purchase date without the original dated receipt and warranty card.

Artfull Dodger

I did look to see if they had the parts listed, which they do not.  I could change the axle gears if I could get parts.  I am waiting on the Bman to jump in, probably not till tomorrow during business hours though.   Mike

jbrock27

"Please sir, canna have some more"...

Dodger, worthless?  Not hardly.  But what exactly did you expect?  How old is this thing?
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

Quote from: artfull dodger on December 28, 2014, 06:03:06 PM
I did look to see if they had the parts listed, which they do not.  I could change the axle gears if I could get parts.
It would be easier and possibly cheaper to just buy a new trolley from MB Klein for $30 than to pay for two sets of the parts you need and shipping.

Artfull Dodger

How many times you going to repeat that MB Klein price?  Yes the trolley has some age, but not near as old as some of my other engines that run perfectly fine.  I know not to expect much when it comes to this brand, in that era.  The new stuff from Bman is outstanding compared to just a few years ago.

Irbricksceo

He is simply trying to help. The repair fee is standard for any powered unit over 1 year old and/or w/o a warranty card + Proof of Date of Purchase. The fee on this unit, 35 dollars, plus the shipping, would be higher. The warranty is great for expensive units however in this case you should consider putting the trolley on a side track, like a repair station, until you can acquire parts if you wish to repair it.
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

Yea Dodger, do da math for the cost benefit analysis, yo.

"Some age" is very subjective and very non descriptive-how old is it?  As in, how many birthdays has it had?

What other engine makes you have?

Agree B-mann locos are better in this day an age than they were way back when.
Keep Calm and Carry On