News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

tackle or tool box for train tools

Started by billgiannelli, December 29, 2014, 11:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgiannelli

I am shopping for a "tackle" box or tool box to hold tools and all the small screws/parts for my trains.
Something to work out of and then be able to neatly put away.
I was wondering what suggestions there might be or what others have found useful.
thanks
Bill

jbrock27

One of those multi compartment boxes that is black or colored on the lower half with a clear top that opens up.  It is about 2.5" high and I would guess 12" by 16" or thereabouts.  I found mine at a discount store called Ocean State Job Lot for like, $3.00 A similar store is Big Lots.  Don't know what is in your area.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Before I was able to set up a dedicated work bench, I used one of these http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/hobby-storage-case-or-tackle-box--blue for many years. Picture for illustration purposes only, I got mine at a local craft shop.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Doneldon

Bill-

The odds are you will use most of your modeling tools at the place (workbench, hobby table, kitchen table) where you actually work on your models so you might not need for them to be portable. The majority of the tools you'll use in building the actual layout will be the ones you use for other household repairs and projects. That said, I strongly endorse the use of a carrousel style tool rack for the hobby specific tools. These allow you to see the tools you have available and choose the one you need without rummaging through a tool box or crowded drawer. As for screws, parts, etc., well, there as never been a parts bin with enough places for the innumerable parts and pieces of hardware you will accumulate. I'm lucky (in a limited sense) that I need to take several medications daily so I have a near endless supply of pill bottles (they work very well) for parts but even I have a junk box with the odd piece or item which doesn't justify its own container.
                                                                                                                 -- D

jonathan

Funny you should mention tackle box.  That's exactly what I use for my tools.  I travel to train shows with my club and sometimes need modeling tools to perform quick repairs at the show.  Plus, at home, it keeps all my tools out of little hands when not in use:

For next to nothing I got these organizer boxes at Michaels, if I remember correctly.  This is where I keep detail parts and the like:

Don't ask about decals.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

jbrock27

What I was describing is very simlar to Jon's trays.  The exception is mine do not have all uniform sized compartments.  There are a couple of longer ones or two, that can hold some longer items and parts, like tweezers and metal strips and such.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Hunt

Consider Small Parts Organizers they come in all sizes and compartment configurations.

Examples Click Here