News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum 2-10-2 kitbash

Started by jon grant 4472, October 23, 2007, 06:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon grant 4472

I've been getting the layout ready for a show  (Colchester, England) in a couple of weeks and have been messing around with one of the Spectrum 2-10-2 models.

I ditched the tender and replaced it with one from the 2-8-0 Consolidation, modifying the coal bunker and adding rear steps and light (both from the long tender)

I also added a footstep on the front pilot after removing the cowcatcher - this has been modified again since the photos were taken this evening!!

Finally I painted the loco black/grey before adding the Belt Railway of Chicago decals. I will be adding more weathering when the paint is fully dry.

Jon
Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

SteamGene

Nice job.  I hope that you did something with the curcuit board. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Really nice job Jon but just one thing.

"Cowcatcher"???????

That's "pilot" old buddy, only the public and the Brits call them "cowcatchers".  :-)

I noticed you were from Colchester.  :-)

r.cprmier

That's "pilot" old buddy, only the public and the Brits call them "cowcatchers". 

Wow...Roger is a toughie!  I'm glad this is between the Canadians and the Brits...

Jon;
That is one great job!  You know, if you are going to do more of that work and need parts, go to Bowser's web site, and look into the "Cal Scale" portion of their site.  Brass has a bit higher resolution-I think you may be happier.

Pip pip, and Cheerio, Y'all.

RIch
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

rogertra

Quote from: r.cprmier on October 23, 2007, 10:09:33 PM
That's "pilot" old buddy, only the public and the Brits call them "cowcatchers". 

Wow...Roger is a toughie!  I'm glad this is between the Canadians and the Brits...

Pip pip, and Cheerio, Y'all.

RIch

Rich, I was making light of it.  It really is technically a "Pilot".

"Cowcatcher" hasn't been used by railroaders, in both Canada and the USA, for over 100 years.

My comment was no worse than your "Pip pip, and Cheerio", which I took as humour as no Brit even speaks like that.

r.cprmier

Roger;
You are quite right.  There was once-and for 58 years in Hartford, WTIC, a radio announcer named Bob Steele; and, besides being pretty knowledgeable, he would always come out with "affections" like 'Pip Pip, etc".  Although skirting cornball at times, the guy was a quality act, and had my audience since I arrived in Ct. in '68.

Oh, by the way; I too, meant that in humour.  If I am being serious about one thing, the tone will reflect it.  I would never be disparaging on a forum-it just isn't worth the time.

Have a great day.  Canada?  Great place, Eh?

Rich
Rich

jon grant 4472

The Spectrum 2-10-2 after I added sunshades, modified the front pilot and clagged the weathering on.

Now to take some video

Jon
Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

jon grant 4472

Quote from: rogertra on October 23, 2007, 07:42:00 PM
"Cowcatcher"???????

That's "pilot" old buddy, only the public and the Brits call them "cowcatchers".  :-)

Ok, Ok - the bit of the pilot that knocks cows off the track.  ;)

I noticed you were from Colchester.  :-)

No - cheeky blighter!

I'm only visiting Colchester to attend their show next week.

I'm from the North East, so I'll be cranking up the old Bentley and pootling through Merrie Olde England to sunny Essex next Friday, stopping off only to ask directions from the quaint country folk on the way. ;D

Jon
Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

lanny

John,

Since I am a 'standard', 'run of the mill' Yankee ... I'll not try to impress or insult you ;D with my 'slang' version of UK or Canadian dialect.

In simple US midwestern 'on the farm' dialect ... your work is absolutely georgeous! Beautiful stuff on a beautiful layout. Thanks for sharing your photos ... always glad to see more when you post them!

best wishes from the middle of Iowa,

lanny
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

jon grant 4472

Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages

SteamGene

Jon,
Now how come yaw'ls talkin' lak an Aussie?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rogertra

Absolutely excellent work.  And I like the modifications to the "pilot" ;D

Do you have more photos of your work anywhere on the web?

Unfortunately, the links to your blog, videos and photo album don't seem to be working.   :(

r.cprmier

Jon;
I said it before, and I'll say it again:  Magnificent work-and now on that great looking layout!  I would say you are an inspiration for all modellers-not just the Newbies.  Keep up the work you do, and by all means, do post it.  It is a real treat!

Rich
Rich

jon grant 4472

Quote from: rogertra on October 25, 2007, 08:06:46 PM
Absolutely excellent work.  And I like the modifications to the "pilot" ;D

Do you have more photos of your work anywhere on the web?

Unfortunately, the links to your blog, videos and photo album don't seem to be working.   :(

There seems to be a block on this forum
affecting the links in my sig

try this to get to Railimages 

http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/2703

and this to get to You Tube

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JonGrant4472

Jon

Modelling HO in the UK

My Blog

My Videos

My Railimages