News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Plastic bondo?

Started by billgiannelli, December 31, 2014, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgiannelli

Hi all!
so in taking apart my tender and engine I have acquired many nicks, scrapes and little details breaking off.
is there a compound of any type that I might use to fix small scrapes and nicks to the plastic bodies of my tender and engine?
A sort of "plastic bond"?
So I might do some cosmetic repairs.
thanks
Bill

jbrock27

Are you by any chance, related to Big Joe ??

;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

billgiannelli

no sorry.
Don't know who big joe is.

BillD53A

Len

If you LHS carries them, Squadron makes filler puttties that work well on plastic models. Squadron White and Squadron Green. The white has finer 'grit' than the green.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Sounds like good stuff.  I have read it works very well for filling in the space on metal fuel tanks on some Atlas locos.
Keep Calm and Carry On

MP2626

The white is for wood, what you want is the green.

Len

Quote from: MP2626 on December 31, 2014, 01:08:02 PM

Not according to the folks at Squadron. Back when I had my repair shop at the LHS, the question came up a lot. So we contacted the folks at Squadron directly for an answer.

We were told the only real difference was in the courseness, or grittiness, of the putty. The white is finer, the green courser. One example given was using the green to fill large voids almost to the top, then finishing off with the white for a smoother finish.

Len

WoundedBear

Quote from: MP2626 on December 31, 2014, 01:08:02 PM

I have been a modeller for 45 years....give or take a couple :D .....I'm always fascinated by these rumors and wonder where the hell people get their information.

I'm with Len on this one.....same putty...different grain.

Sid

Desertdweller

I have used Squadron putty for years.  The only problem I ever had with it was one time when I used it to attach a lead weight inside a 1/72 scale airplane I was building.  After drying overnight, it had softened the plastic to the point the plane looked like a truck had crashed into it.  It was my fault for misusing it.

I only use the white variety now.  Not only is it easier to smooth (being finer grained), but the white putty is much easier to paint over.  The green tends to show through paint.

Les

jbrock27

Thank you Len, Sid and Les :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

James in FL

When it comes to the Squadron Putty, I too prefer the white over the green.
I no longer use either one, but instead use Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty #907 for the last dozen years or so.
I find it to be more  fluid than either of the Squadron putties and easier to work with.

http://bondo.com/bondo-glazing-spot-putty-907.html

For repair of broken surface parts, like bells or stirrups, or other fine details, I like super glue.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/super-glue.shtml

If I am adding detail parts, and can glue from the inside of the shell, where there is a hole in the shell to receive the part (pin/plug into the hole) I prefer Testors #3501.

http://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/testors/adhesive/cement/

Good luck

MP2626

I've been modeling for close to 60 years.  Not that has made me an expert, obviously.  I had heard somewhere that the white was for wood.  I guess I was mistaken and that it is not, is fine with me.  I only have used the green.  I guess for the O.P.'s needs, either would work.  White/green the stuff is perfect for his needs!

Len

Actually, either white or green can be used as a filler with wood, as well as plastic. I've done it many times on wood ship models with, let's say, less than stellar fitting pieces. Just don't try to use it as a glue, there are many, many, perfectly good glues around for sticking things together.

Len