News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

overheating engine

Started by debbee, December 31, 2014, 09:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

debbee

I got a new train for Christmas and the engine isn't staying at a consistant speed around my track. If I turn up the power then the train derails. After stopping the train I started to smell a strange odor coming from the engine and the engine was to hot to touch. What could be wrong? I have a 180 watt transformer and about 20-30 ft of track.

phillyreading

Is the track new as well? If not you will need to clean the track.
Another often overlooked thing is to add additional power wires to the track every five or six feet, as all track loses power over distances longer then six feet. Some areas to look at are track connections & pins.
Check the wheels on the engine as well as it may have picked up some dirt from the track.
If your engine has smoke it will make the track dirty much faster.

You could have gotten a bad engine from the factory, so check your track with another engine that you know works well.

Lee F.

Joe Satnik

Hi, Debbee.

It would help us to know the make and model number of your train set. 

Do the cars that the loco pulls roll freely?

It is possible that something is binding or dragging, causing your motors to work harder and heat up.

Very little lube is put on new trains to avoid soiling the packaging, yet they do need to be lubed.   

Did instructions for lubricating your train come with it?

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.