News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Steam Loco Driver Size

Started by dwbum, December 31, 2014, 09:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwbum

Hello and Happy New Year,
I would like to know driver size of Bachmann seam locos models 2-6-0 and Bachmann 4-6-0; can someone please tell me or how to identify or find out?
Don

WoundedBear

No idea about the Mogul's drive wheels, but the ten wheeler was available in either a 52 inch or 63 inch driver version.....also called low and high boiler versions.

Sid

rogertra

Quote from: dwbum on December 31, 2014, 09:54:00 AM
Hello and Happy New Year,
I would like to know driver size of Bachmann seam locos models 2-6-0 and Bachmann 4-6-0; can someone please tell me or how to identify or find out?
Don

Buy a scale rule, they are quite inexpensive and are really useful for many scratch building jobs.

Unfortunately, my 2-6-0s are packed away at the moment but if I get time I'll dig one out and let you know.

Happy New Year.

Roger T.

Doneldon

Don-

The 52" wheels are just about 6/10" in diameter, rim (not flanges)
to rim. The 63" wheels work out to a shadow under3/4".
                                                                                         -- D

electrical whiz kid

General markets the same scale that Walthers does-only different names stamped on it. 
Some sound advice?  While you're shopping for that rule, Also price a GOOD dial caliper!  I have had a Mitsutoyo for many (50) years, and check it regularly against a jo block for accuracy. 
As a modeler who tries to attain high standards in things, I cannot stress the importance of having GOOD measuring tools.   While you are at it, look at micrometers.  These are a bit more difficult to use than the dial, but are a lot more accurate. 
SGT C.

dwbum

Hello Folks,
Thank you for your relies to my question. I have the measuring devices you mentioned and use them often (left over from my mechanical desigh engineering days).
I must have worded the post wrong. I am modeling the early 1900's new england railroads, mostly Boston and Maine. I want to expand my loco roster, presently have connies, one ten wheeler, a pacific, a 2-6-0, a 0-6-0 and a 0-6-0 tank. I would like to obtain 63" driver ten wheeler and a 63" driver mogal; how can I be sure of the driver size if I cannot actually have hands of the loco.
To get a ten wheeler, I think Ebay or internet companies will be necessary.
I enjoy reading all comments on the forum.
Don

Len

These are the Bachmann Spectrum 4-6-0 w/63" Drivers if you go looking for them at shows, or on eBay:

84902 - Painted, Unlettered w/Sound & DCC
84906  - C&NW #238 w/Sound & DCC
84907 - NYC #1233 w/Sound & DCC

2-6-0 Moguls had either 56" or 64" drivers, the Bachmann Spectrum 2-6-0 has 56" drivers. If you can find one, IHC did a 64" driver version in their 'Premier' line that was DCC ready. The tender frame also had "grill" work in the bottom for installing a speaker if you added sound. I'm not sure what the driver size was on the Mantua version of the Mogul.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

Mantua had 56" drivers, at least all of the ones I have seen did.

Len

Quote from: ACY on January 07, 2015, 01:32:32 PM
Mantua had 56" drivers, at least all of the ones I have seen did.

Thanks for the info. Never owned one, or looked that close at it.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

dwbum

Thank you Len and Acy for your replies giving info I was looking for.
I believe that B&M and other railroads used locos with 63", give or take, for passenger service which are lighter and higher speeds.
By the way, can Bachmann Mogals be converted to 63" drivers?
Don