News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K-27 Details/Ihobby photo

Started by Matthew (OV), October 23, 2007, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthew (OV)

On MLS, this thread has a somewhat blurred photo of the Bachmann table with several versions of the K-27....

http://www.mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49239

The one furthest to the right appears to have a snowplow mounted.

What does the pilot look like UNDER the snowplow on models that come with it in place?  Is it the road pilot or the switcher pilot? Have you seen how the plow is removed?

Matthew (OV)

Charlie Mutschler

Matthew,

On the prototype, the pilot comes OFF before the plow goes ON.  The plow has steel brackets that bolt onto the pilot beam, which remains on the locomotive.  (This applies for all the K's by the way.  One reason the D&SNG and C&TS don't just take the plows off come June.  It is a lot of work, simpler to keep one or two locos plow equipped.)  Given how carefully the Bachmann team seems to be engineering the Mudhen, I would guess that this would be the way they handle the plow mounting on the model.  I am eagerly anticipating mine. 

Charlie Mutschler
-30-

Matthew (OV)

That's why I'm asking .... if I want to remove the plow from mine, I'm going to have to have some parts (like the pilot) on hand to put on there ... fortunately, getting hold of a 1:20.3 K27 pilot isn't impossible, but I need to know how much of the pilot's under there on the model so I know what other parts I'll need to put ON when the plow comes OFF.

Of course it looks pretty darn great with the plow ON as well ....  I may have to have two of these, and just keep the plow on that 455!

Matthew (OV)

Charlie Mutschler

Good point Matthew :)  I am eagerly awaiting mine to see how this is accomplished.  All my experience with smaller ones has been that the change from plow to pilot was a rather time-consuming job.  I will be very interested in seeing how Bachmann has done the pilots and the plows.  Speaking of pilots, that is its own little challenge, like back up lights.  Switchers had footboards, some locomotives had the pilots changed at different times reflecting different assignments.  I am looking forward to detailing mine - depending on how much comes with the locomotive.  The 'hockey puck' spark arrestor for summer use would seem like a logical addition, and a water bag for the fireman.  Maybe the extra scoop, rake, and slash bar, and presumably the lunch buckets and crew.  <VBG>  As I say, I am eagerly anticipating mine, and look forward to seeing how she looks with the Fn3 freight cars on hand.  I'm adding some tank cars in both narrow frame and frameless versions. 

Enthusiastically Anticipating,
Charlie

Steve Stockham

Yeah, speaking of "blurred photos," when are we going to see these gems up close and personal in the photo gallery? ;D