still need help,,,trying to configure a branch or spur line to park an engine.

Started by caseyjones, December 31, 2014, 08:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseyjones

Ok.  So I'm still trying to configure a couple of branch or spur lines to park an engine with 5 cars while I run the second engine and five cars.  The pattern is a standard oval big enough to have a spur line on the inside of the oval for each train.  I got the insulating plastic couplers and a metal couplers with a length of wire soldered to it and wired in an Atlas SP ST switch. I did the dead stop thing. I worked all the hook up possibilities and wrote down the instructions the guy from our local Hobby Town gave me and I still cant seem to cut the power to a spur while running the other train on the track.  The idea would be to power up the spur when I want to park the train running on the track, and run the train parked on the spur. I'm combining two Bachmann train sets to make this work and the pattern is like a pattern on the back of the box. Mr. Bach Man, any ideas?  Anyone?  Please?  This all Bachmann stuff.  Which is fine by me.  Smiley  If it cant be done, then that's fine.  i'm just trying to find my way.  I'm sure its something I'm doing, or not doing.  But not sure what.  Thank you in advance for your ideas.

ACY

Like I said before,  to me, the easiest solution is dcc as that does not require any additional wiring (ie block wiring). However for a DC setup, you need that portion of track completely isolated from the main oval.

JerryB

Take a look at the NMRA's website on wiring. Scroll down the page to where a simple oval is shown. I think this is exactly what your want:

http://www.nmra.org/beginner/wiring

Hope this helps.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Doneldon

Quote from: caseyjones on December 31, 2014, 08:49:27 PM
Ok.  So I'm still trying to configure a couple of branch or spur lines to park an engine with 5 cars while I run the second engine and five cars.  The pattern is a standard oval big enough to have a spur line on the inside of the oval for each train.  I got the insulating plastic couplers and a metal couplers with a length of wire soldered to it and wired in an Atlas SP ST switch. I did the dead stop thing. I worked all the hook up possibilities and wrote down the instructions the guy from our local Hobby Town gave me and I still cant seem to cut the power to a spur while running the other train on the track.  The idea would be to power up the spur when I want to park the train running on the track, and run the train parked on the spur. I'm combining two Bachmann train sets to make this work and the pattern is like a pattern on the back of the box. Mr. Bach Man, any ideas?  Anyone?  Please?  This all Bachmann stuff.  Which is fine by me.  Smiley  If it cant be done, then that's fine.  i'm just trying to find my way.  I'm sure its something I'm doing, or not doing.  But not sure what.  Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Casey-

Double posting won't yield a better answer or a quicker one. It will only plug up the system, insult the people who
try to help you and irritate others. Please try to live with our little courtesies.
                                                                                                                   -- D

caseyjones

First, allow me to apologize for the double posting.  It won't happen again.
Second, I do appreciate the referral to the nmra site.  That looks very promising.  The reiteration of the DCC idea caused me to look more in depth and found there are more affordable DCC systems than the several hundred dollar versions.  So that actually may work for me also.  So I do appreciate the added
info., and sorry about my lack of posting protocol. 

With that, have a great New Year. 

jward

keep in mind that cc systems require decoder equipped locomotives. if your locomotives do not have them, you will have to install them yourself. seeing as you are having trouble with isolating tracks for a siding, this may be beyond your skill level at this time. this isn't a dig at you, or dcc. in the future, as your skills improve you may want to tackle dcc and decoder installation.

if possible, can you post a track plan for your layout. also which atlas product did you purchase for your wiring? I can help you better if I know what you are working with.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

caseyjones

Thanks Jward.  You are right in your assessment of my skill level in this arena. This christmas I pulled out my old lionel train which I hadn't had out in over 30 years.  What cracks me up is it still worked.  So I cleaned up the old train and cars dating from the 1960's and something sparked inside.  So now I've been having fun with the O guage and picked up a couple of the Bachmann train sets with EZtrack on sale.  I'm learning the different levels of quality by the different makers and different approaches in technology, as well as the cost differences.  I'm not sure how much money I want to invest just yet, but just setting up and running the trains and hearing the Kliketty clack of the tracks does my heart good.  So here i am talking on a blog site with people i know have years of experience and have invested I'm guessing a sizable amount of money into their chosen hobby.  Awesome!

So the Atlas switch unit, (not track switch) is labeled as an Atlas #205 Connector.  It is a bank of three, yellow colored plastic slide switches that has two wire connectors next to each slid switch.  Then there are two screw connectors on each side of the unit.  I as I am fiddling trying to make it work right, I wonder if I am running into some of the issues inherent in a lower end train set. While I think what I want to do is simple, it just might be better for me to keep it simpler still and watch it go round and round.

As I continue to tinker, it becomes obvious I will have to make some decisions as to how far I will want to go down this road.  For now though, it is fun in a childish sort of way.

Thank you for your interest in helping me.

AGSB

Do a Google search for "Atlas #205 Connector" and find the "Images" result. There you will find a wiring diagram (third picture) for sidings as well as how to wire accessories.

jbrock27

I hope this helps CJ.

http://www.zscalemonster.com/atlas/atl-205.jpg

As I said earlier today, before it was deleted for some unexplainable reason, this is simple and certainly very doable.  Don't give up!  Good luck :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

casey-

May I suggest that you refrain from purchasing any more train sets until you have a better idea of what direction you want to go with model railroading? Train sets are designed to be inexpensive, easy entries to the hobby. Consequently, they typically have components which are of less than highest quality. This leads to short lives and a lot of frustration before they prematurely give up the ghost. In short, they can prove so frustrating that they drive some folks away from the hobby who might otherwise have enjoyed themselves.
                                  -- D

jward

am I correct in assuming that your sidings where you want to park trains are double ended? that is, a switch at each end so that you can pull a train through them and not have to back in or out?

if this is the case, the wiring diagram jbrock posted will work, but you have to insulate the one rail at both ends of the siding, make sure your gaps are all on the same rail, the other one acts as a common return to the power pack. if your sidings are dead ends, then you can et by with only one gap in the rail.

the beauty of the atlas wiring components is that their design greatly simplifies block control wiring of your layout. you will find that wiring isn't that hard, it's basically the same circuits wired over and over for each section of track you wish to control. even better, if eventually you decide to go with dcc control, the existing wiring can still be used.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

caseyjones

I am humbled by all you who have invested your time and energy in helping me figure out my train parking problem.  I have already learned a lot just from these exchanges.  Doneldon, you are right in that I need to determine my approach to this fun exciting and rewarding hobby.  I will be digesting everyone's ideas, which all have merit.  I need to get past the novelty and figure out what I'm going to do. 

Thank you all for your interest and willingness to help.  I'll keep checking in with this site as the topics are very interesting, but I got enough to keep me busy for a while.  If I can get it together and I have success, I will let you know on this blog.  Thanks again to you all.  And have a great and successful new year.   

AGSB

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 01, 2015, 09:29:15 PM
I hope this helps CJ.

http://www.zscalemonster.com/atlas/atl-205.jpg

As I said earlier today, before it was deleted for some unexplainable reason, this is simple and certainly very doable.  Don't give up!  Good luck :)

That's the picture I came up with in my search but couldn't figure out how to post it here and the URL was half a page long to link to it.

jbrock27

You're welcome CJ.  You can do this. 

I am in agreement for the most part, with what Doc says about the quality of most "train sets", but this does not mean you can't make what you have at the moment, work for you. 

What HO sets are do you currently have?
Keep Calm and Carry On

caseyjones

Thanks for the link AGSB.  i appreciate it and I won't give up.  Not in my nature. 

And thanks for the interest jbrock27.  I'm listening!  The sets I have are both Bachmann.  The first is "The Red Rock Express" with a 36" round track and a F9 deisel.  The next is called, "Rail Chief" with a larger oval track and a GP40 Engine.  Lots of cool extras.  Small people to paint, telephone poles, a tressel, road and rail signs.  Stuff like that.