News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

lighted passenger car problems

Started by PneumticManx60, January 01, 2015, 01:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PneumticManx60

I have a amtrak Passenger car with lights but when i have it on the track with a locomotive it stops power to locomotive so it stop. Im using Dc operation any ideas, opinions, etc.

Len

It sounds like you've got a short in the passenger car. The most common way this happens a wheel, or wheels, are removed an put back reversed from the way they were.

If you look close, you'll see one wheel is insulated from the axle, the other isn't. The insulated wheels all need to be on the same side of the truck assembly. They should be on the opposite side on the other truck assembly. This allows power to flow from one rail, through the lights, then out to the opposite rail.

If one wheelset is reversed, power flows from one rail directly through the axles to the other rail, creating a short.

If all the insulated wheels are where they belong, check the wiring for a bare spot that's touching something it shouldn't. Not as common, but it happens.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

It could also be he is overloading the circuit if his power source is not rated at enough amps.

Len

Even the old Bachmann transformers with the flip-over handle you turned one way for forward, the other for reverse, has enough power to run most locos and 3 or 4 lighted cars.

What the OP is describing is the loco stops running with the lighted car on the track. That indicates a short in the car, which would create an overload condition. The most common source of shorts in lighted cars is a reversed wheel set in one, or both, trucks.

Len

ACY

If he has a 5 car train or larger or a locomotive with sound, he could easily overload it without a short.

Len

The original post says he's running DC, not DCC with sound. And, assuming the wheels are all installed correctly and there's no bare wire touching something, even 8 lighted cars shouldn't overload even a cheaper transformer.

Len

ACY

I have a 3 car passenger set that easily overloads most basic power sources, they have fluorescent lights that draw more power than your standard lights. And even though he is using a DC power source that doesn't preclude his locomotive from having sound or DCC. And 8 non-modified Bachmann heavyweight passenger cars can overload some basic power sources. It all depends on the type of lights and the power source. I am not saying it definitely is this or this is more likely, I agree your scenario is most likely the case but my scenario cannot completely be ruled out without knowing more information.

Len

The original post says, "I have a amtrak Passenger car with lights...", which pretty much excludes heavy weight cars. And none of the current production lighted Amtrak cars I'm aware of use flourescent bulbs. They either use one or more incandescent bulbs, e.g., Life-Like, or LEDs, just about everyone else offering lighted cars.

Out of curiousity, who made your cars with the flourescent bulbs? I haven't seen those used in some time.

Len

ACY

They were Athearn kits that I installed my own lights in, I put flourescent bulbs since I put nice interiors with people inside, this way it is easy to see the detail. I also installed capacitors in each car to keep them lit so they don't flicker. The baggage and rpo or combine can't recall which it was, I didn't put flourescent bulbs in and just put a standard bulb.
Regardless 8 lit cars even with standard bulbs can potentially cause an overload.

PneumticManx60

To start with its a amtrak 21917 all wheels appear to be picks ups i dont think its a short and it appears to use a single led to light it up.
Ive tried running it solo with 3 difrent locomotives and get the same results.

ACY

If it is only one passenger car it can only be a short. In fact it is a short with 99% probability, check to make sure the car doesn't have any loose or frayed wires, this includes inside the car. Next check to make sure the insulated side of the wheels are consistent,  this is the most likely culprit.