News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turnouts

Started by bsulzbach, December 30, 2014, 08:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsulzbach

Hi guy's, i am new to the sight and also to model railroading. I am starting out with n scale and i want to use manual ground throw turnouts and i can't find them anywhere, does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks,

Desertdweller

I don't think you will find any.  Probably the best way to go about this would be to buy some non-powered turnouts (pre-EZ-Trak Bachmann, Atlas, or similar).  These come with a manual mechanism that is like a solenoid switch machine without the motor inside.  Take this device off (it is held to the ties with screws).
The switch machine engages the switch throw bar (the part that moves the points) with a pin that moves back and forth.

There are ground throw mechanisms available.  I think Caboose Hobbies makes them.  You need to mount them so the pin on the moving part engages the throw bar.

If you are using roadbed, you will need to put some under the ground throw to raise it to the same height as the switch.  By using layers of cork or foam roadbed, you can also raise the switch so it will work with EZ-Trak for the rest of your track.

Les

Albert in N

For ground throw turnout controls, use Caboose Industries (cabooseind.com, per page 31 of January 2015 Model Railroader; ad even has photos).  Many hobby shops carry these.  On earlier N layouts, I used Atlas track with Atlas manual turnouts controlled by Caboose Industries standard ground-throws.  They lasted for years until I got lazy and went to electric turnouts.  Caboose Hobbies (CabooseHobbies.com) probably also carries them.  The ground throws would also work with other track brands.  I remember train shows having N "time saver" small switching layouts using the ground throws.  Actually, they were fun; but I was younger and more energetic then. 

bsulzbach

Thank you both for the information, I will look into Caboose Industries.

Albert in N

Train World (trainworld.com) has them at $2.99 plus shipping.  There is no state sales tax, unless you live in New York.  On their menu drop down, it is  Caboose Industries, track and accessories, N scale; then go (arrow).   Train World has served me well for years.  Usually it takes less than one week from order to delivery at my doorstep.  My nearest hobby shop is some 30 minutes away in traffic, plus they usually don't have what I want, but offer to order it (ship to their store).  Also, they are only open late afternoon Tuesday thru Friday, or all day on Saturday, unless they close for personal reasons.  Rather than two trips, plus pay retail and Texas state sales tax, I order on line.  The really good hobby shops are well over an hour away (one way) in heavy traffic.

bsulzbach

thank you very much, when i go home tonight i will look them up.
thanks Bill,

Desertdweller

One caution on these manual ground throws:  they are oversize for N-scale.  If you doubt that, compare one to an N-scale figure standing next to it.  They have to be made that way so you don't destroy them throwing them with your fingers.

Actually, an N-scale ground throw would be closer to scale size (in HO) than a HO ground throw would be.

Les

Albert in N

Les is right on size.  However, if installed with Atlas Custom Line code 80 or any of the Atlas code 55 turnouts, the visual effect is more pleasing than with a big black plastic control box attached to the side (for switch motor or for manual control used on most turnouts).  Some folks use under table turnout control mechanisms (Tortoise electric or manual choke cable) for convenience and aesthetics, but this takes expense plus a lot of effort.  If you view products on Trainworld web site, you can click on most photos to enlarge for better examination.  Oh, I ordered from Trainworld last Saturday (12/27/2014) and my order arrived in my mailbox this morning (12/31/2014).  Shipping cost billed was only $9.95 since I chose cheapest ground shipping (came by priority mail today since apparently less than FedEx or UPS).  Maybe service and selection is why Train World advertises as Bachmann's top dealer (as well as top dealer for other suppliers). 

bsulzbach

Thank you Albert and Les, looking through Trainworld i think I'm going to go with the Tortoise  machine and use Atlas code 55 i don't like the atlas black switch box and your right about the size of the manual turn out, this will be a very long prodject for and i'm in no hurry so i might as well do it right, you guys are great and i'm glad i found this sight.

Albert in N

You may have found this web site already,  circuitron.com, for Tortoise features and related stuff.   Many of the HO, as well as N and other scales, clubs and train show layouts use these.   Check out Model Railroader magazine web site to enter their sweepstakes; top prize is a $2,000 TrainWorld shopping spree.  Also, you get a code for a single use 5% TrainWorld discount after you enter on line.