News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO NS gp50

Started by cf2004, January 01, 2015, 03:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cf2004

Hi

Does anyone have the scoop on these locos? I am thinking about getting one from model train stuff.com
I know they are very basic but my question is
1. Are they still the same "toy train" model from 15 years ago or has this model been made a little better like the other newer b-Mann releases ie gp38-2, sd40-2
2. Is the moor isolated from frame so I could add DCC

The photo on model train stuff is not very flattering and looks like it even has old horn hook couplers. However I have seen photos from other dealers show knuckle couple and nicer looking detail parts like horns and bell.

So if anyone has bought one of these in the recent past could you please let me know

Thanks

ACY

This locomotive is not DCC ready, it has plastic knuckle couplers without a metal spring, it is not as technologically advanced as some other Bachmann models. If you want a locomotive with DCC, you are better off with a different model, but it runs fine for a DC locomotive. This locomotive is one that has seen the fewest improvements probably over the past 15 years. Bachmann makes a lot of excellent models, especially those in the Spectrum line or the Soundvalue line.

cf2004

Ok. Thank you for your reply. I will avoid this loco as it does not fit my needs. Is it safe to say that this locomotive likley has similar issues
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-EMD-GP40-Con-p/bac-63516.htm

trainmainbrian

In my Own Thought's Horn Hook Couplers Are "OLD SCHOOL" & not really used Today in most cases... Mainly those style couplers you would find on a Cheap Low Grade Train Set Or Loco's...KD style Couplers is the Way to go nowadays....
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

Irbricksceo

I used to own a gp40, They ran pretty well if a bit loud however they arent DCC ready, you will have to hardwire. Bear in mind, this was 7 years ago so it may have changed.
Modeling NYC in N

Len

Quote from: cf2004 on January 02, 2015, 08:56:11 AM
Ok. Thank you for your reply. I will avoid this loco as it does not fit my needs. Is it safe to say that this locomotive likley has similar issues
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-EMD-GP40-Con-p/bac-63516.htm

The motor in the GP40 is isolated from the chassis, so installing a decoder is pretty straight forward. It's not "DCC Ready", so a 'hardwire' installation involving some soldering will be required. And the picture at the link you gave shows the loco already has knuckle couplers.

The locomotive is different, but the installation method of whatever decoder you use is pretty much the same as this:

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/HO_Scale/Bachmann/Baldwin_RF-16_Shark/Baldwin_RF-16_Shark.html

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

cf2004