News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO ALCO 2-6-0 Mogul

Started by cjcampo61, January 02, 2015, 10:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjcampo61

I received this engine for a Christmas gift.  All the features work but it doesn't run smoothly, (herky-jerky) especially at slow speed.  I lubricated the axles and rods lightly, wheels and track are clean.  Some internal mechanical binding is what I think.  Warranty card says fill out and return within 10 days of purchase.  This was a new ebay purchase back in July 2014.  Can I still send in the warranty card to activate the warranty then send the engine back for service?

Cliff Campo

Len

It may just need some break in time to smooth it out. It's generally accepted practice to run a new loco with no cars for about 30 - 45 minutes in forward, varying the speed occasionally. Then run it in reverse for the same amount of time. This gives the gears, and mechanism, a chance to smooth out.

If it's still jerky after that, then the running gear may be binding, and it probably does need to be serviced. This is what Bachmann's warranty says about that:

QuoteItems less than a year old are fully covered and will be serviced or replaced at no charge when accompanied with registration card and proof of purchase.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

Ifs it's a DCC equipped version cv 209 and 210 may need resetting.  Google "mr. DCC " for full instruction.  After that, set chuff rate cv 116 to 150 to get the chuff rate fairly correct.

cjcampo61

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll give the suggestions a try.

Speedbrake

Another suggestion. I own two of these DCC w/sound. If you are running DCC. try setting the speed  steps to 128.

rogertra

Quote from: Speedbrake on January 08, 2015, 03:15:04 PM
Another suggestion. I own two of these DCC w/sound. If you are running DCC. try setting the speed  steps to 128.

I run everything at 128 speed steps.  Is there any other way?  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

ACY

Roger there is also 28 speed steps and some decoders also have other options.

rogertra

Quote from: ACY on January 08, 2015, 03:48:37 PM
Roger there is also 28 speed steps and some decoders also have other options.

Yes, I was being err, facetious.

In other words, I would not dream of using anything other than 128 steps.

Cheers

Roger T.

ACY

Quote from: rogertra on January 08, 2015, 04:32:10 PM
Some decoders have an option of 256 speed steps I believe but it is not supported by most DCC systems.

rogertra

Quote from: ACY on January 08, 2015, 05:05:36 PM
Quote from: rogertra on January 08, 2015, 04:32:10 PM
Some decoders have an option of 256 speed steps I believe but it is not supported by most DCC systems.

I do not believe 256 steps is an NMRA standard.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

Roger T.

ALCO0001

Seems to me that there may be a issue with the valve gear linkage .THis is the only thing that would cause a bind unless there is something in the gear itself,Check the eccentric cranks to see if they turn with your fingers .If they do they came loose and this is the cause of your bind .Once they come loose the one way slot gets damaged that locks it in place when it is properly tightened with no metal burrs that make it seem tight when it was assembled,but work its way loose when run very little .I had this problem with 2 of them and another problem with the third.Strike 3 got me a spectrum upgrade with the great service department .Remenber all mechanical issues have to be correct before you can start looking at the electronics that control it .Hope this helps ;D!
Jack

rogertra

Quote from: ALCO0001 on January 10, 2015, 01:47:20 PM
Seems to me that there may be a issue with the valve gear linkage .THis is the only thing that would cause a bind unless there is something in the gear itself,Check the eccentric cranks to see if they turn with your fingers .If they do they came loose and this is the cause of your bind .Once they come loose the one way slot gets damaged that locks it in place when it is properly tightened with no metal burrs that make it seem tight when it was assembled,but work its way loose when run very little .I had this problem with 2 of them and another problem with the third.Strike 3 got me a spectrum upgrade with the great service department .Remenber all mechanical issues have to be correct before you can start looking at the electronics that control it .Hope this helps ;D!
Jack

One of my 2-6-0s had the crank pin either come loose or had some sort of failure.  I forget which now.  With my current eyesight it proved impossible to repair so, for the first time in my life, I sent an engine back for repairs (Actually replacement, Bachmann hardly ever repair anything).  About three weeks later, a replacement engine showed up.

Yes, a replacement.  Even though I'd checked the repair box asking if it been customised and enclosed a note saying this was a customised, detailed and weathered body, they just sent a replacement.  Not complaining as the service was done with no questions asked.  Next time though, if I do send one my custom lettered, detailed and weathered locos back I will ask if I can send it back sans loco body and tender.

Cheers

Roger T.