Trying to Get My Bachmann N Scale to Work

Started by Regy, January 02, 2015, 07:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regy

As you will see, I am inexoerienced at this.  My N scale locomotive locomotive lights up, but does not go anywhere.  I checked to see if it is on tracks and it is.  Any suggestions.

jbrock27

Does the loco make any noise, like a hum, when you apply the power? Have you looked at the underside of the loco to see if anything is jamming up the wheels?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Regy

thanks much.  It definitely makes a hum.  I noticed that the middle set of wheels was not moving, so i kind of worked them and loosened them up.  (maybe too much because a circular thing kind of flew off.). But it is still humming, i did see some sparks, too.  Thank you.

jbrock27

You're welcome (just don't tell JerrysHO I'm trying to be helpful-let's keep that our little secret ;))

Ouch, sparks!  Ok, that means power is getting through, but something is jamming up the motor, keeping the wheels from turning.  Do you have the ability to take the shell off?  What is the piece that flew off?  Where any wheels able to turn before?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jim C.

Hi Regy,

Same thing happened here, I suspect the engine is burned out as mine would light, but wouldn't move either.  I took off the shell and manually rotated the shaft, the engine turned over, (which is supposed to be a good sign), but sparked and smoked a little when I put the power to it.  A local hobby shop told me the gear lube can harden from sitting, so I cleaned it up before I did anything else.

For my model, a replacement motor is $10.00, worth it in my opinion. 

-Jim

Regy

An odd thing just happened----it started moving.  Earlier, the wheels --- the four ones that work together --- weren't moving, but they are now.  A flexible plastic ring flew ; kind of like a thin washer or gasket.  I don't see any sparks ---but I will keep an eye out for them.  Thank you so much.  i also changed the wires from yhe track to the power pack.  there were four places to attach to on the power pack.  I moved it from the top two to the bottom two --- and viola -- it started working.  Thank You all again.

jbrock27

You are welcome.

Do you initially have the track hooked up to the AC terminals on your power pack and not the DC ones?

(Curious, why did my remark about gear lube going hard enough to destroy a motor get deleted?)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Regy

Maybe I did; but I think they all looked the same.  I thought there were four; two each for perhaps two train sets.  But I guess that is how houses catch on fire and trains blow up.   I'll go look now, but I swear they all looked alike. 

Don't know about the gear lube post.

jbrock27

Not usually 2 sets for 2 train sets; usually 1 set of screws is for AC, the other set for DC.  They should be marked as such in some shape or form.  What make controller you have?  Whatever you do, do not hook the rails up the AC ones, again.

If for some bizarre reason they are not marked, make sure you label them so there is no further mix up down the road.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Regy

Thanks so much.  I bought a Railpower 1300 today because we seem to have lost the one that came with the Bachman package !  I guess DC stands for Dumb Conductor or Dangerous Conductor.  I just looked and they are lbled.  There is a Track DC and an Accessories AC.  I sure learned something today (as in 'Read the Labels') !!!

jbrock27

I have a 1300.  Great pack.  MRC makes excellent packs.  Much better than what you had in the package, in mine and many other's opinions.  Glad you did not permanently fry the motor on the loco and learned a good lesson.
Have fun, best of luck and don't be afraid to ask any other questions!
Keep Calm and Carry On