News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

planning a new layout / layout tables

Started by billgiannelli, January 03, 2015, 07:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billgiannelli

Thanks again all!
So another stupid question, what if I merely used a 4' x 8' wooden sheet?
What are the limitations of those dimensions?
thanks
Bill

Len

The main limitation is most people can only reach 3ft, and that's a stretch. So you access around at least three sides needs to be factored into your space requirements. It also limits you to 22in radius curves max. Since radius is measured center-to-center, 24in radius would be hanging off the table.

Are you looking to run long trains around, or more into switching operations? If switching operations, you'd be better off to have your local home supply store split the 4'x8' into two 2'x8' or four 2'x4' strips. Use the strips for an around the wall switching layout.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

billgiannelli

Hi Len,
Thanks for the explanation!
I can't do around the wall as there is a window and 2 closets we need access to.
So I want to center the table in the middle of the room.
thanks
Bill

jbrock27

I always  hate when I have to repeat myself bc folks don't pay attention :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Trainman203

Slightly off topic....

Near causeway and airline, Jerry.   Right behind the Premier Fitness Center.  

I had a previous unfortunate life on this forum.  It was a reflection of a very bad time for me.  I'm reformed now.  The Bach Man understood and is a gracious host to forgive, and let all this carrying on and acting up go on in his house.

You ever go to the Crescent City Model Railroad Club? I don't because I'm always out of town on their meeting night and I'm not really into the timetable/paperwork/mainline operation thing they are into. They are nice guys though, were very welcoming when I visited last year.  When I retire soon I'll probably join.

Jerrys HO

TM, your name isn't Paul is it?
Yes I attend their open houses every year, they lost over half their members though. I heard it was because they switched to DCC and the older fellows had too many engines to convert.
It is a fabulous layout though and they keep adding to it.
Anyone interested in viewing our local club it's here.......
http://www.ccmrc.com/

Trainman203

It's "Pat" actually.

Yes that layout is beautiful.  When I went last year one end was ripped out for rebuilding and improvement.  They run on NCE DCC, same as me, and I could go there  and operate but there's a few reasons I don't...... 1.  They converted to an all diesel railroad, took out the roundhouse and turntable.  I'm strictly a steam guy and I don't think they'd be wild about me bringing 2-8-2's, 2-10-2's and 1940 freight cars in.  I bought those big engines for a club I'm in over in Ms, but it's been torn down and they are too big for my branch line layout which likes a 2-8-0 at best.   2.  They are into carded operation with fast clocks, timetables and all ...... Way too much for for a guy like me who likes one mixed train daily no longer than 7 or 8 cars and no paperwork , and the biggest reason, my better half has already retired and gone to Pass Christian so I burn rubber  every Friday at 3:31 getting over there.....  About 3 hours before they meet.  Well I've only got 18 months till I retire so maybe then I'll  join them then.  The Ms club is building a "temporary" layout.  I did the track plan for but its already been but it's  deviated from, screwing up my point to point operation idea.

I know you've got a lot more ambitious layout than mine but heck you oughta come see it sometimes.  I have a friend in Gulfport who is my steam southern shortline clone and he comes over every month or so for a little paperwork-free "ops".

jward

Quote from: billgiannelli on January 05, 2015, 06:07:03 AM
Thanks again all!
So another stupid question, what if I merely used a 4' x 8' wooden sheet?
What are the limitations of those dimensions?
thanks
Bill

you still need some sort of framework underneath it to prevent it from sagging and warping over time. it is easier and less frustrating to do it right the first time, than to try to fix a poorly supported layout after the fact. as I said before, a basic support structure made out of 1x4 pine is cheap and easy to build. 2 8 foot sections for the long side rails, and 5  46 1/2" cross members spaced on 24" centers. when done it resembles a wall section before the drywall is added.  it can be done assembled with basic hand tools, a screwdriver, a hand brace with 1/8" drill bit, a square an about 2 dozen #8 screws 1 1/4" long. once done, you add legs and fasten your plywood sheet on top and you're done. it will take a couple hours worth of your time to set up then you never have to deal with it again.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Bill, As Jeff noted you need bracing under the plywood. Now if you are looking for something that you can store against the wall till the kids come over or in your free time have fun, I would suggest building the top portion like in the first video I posted, without the legs that way you have the bracing as suggested. The only problem is the scenery will be limited on what you can do.
I would also suggest on trying to extend it to a 5x8 or better yet 6x8 for larger radius's.

Flagman46

Visit sieversbenchwork.com.  Precut 1" X 4" pine pieces.  Various lengths & widths.
Easy to use instructions.  All the necessary nuts, bolts and screws.  I joined together 5
2' X 4' sections in half an hour.  Very sturdy and stable.  One poster was right. If you decide on a basic 4'X8' (or any other dimension), get the lumber dealer to cut 2'X4'
sections.  Easier to transport and handle.
I have a 6'X10' L-shaped figure 8 layout "in the middle of the room".
Once you get past this part, go to the thread being done by "Saved1".

trainmainbrian

Quote from: billgiannelli on January 05, 2015, 06:23:22 AM
Hi Len,
Thanks for the explanation!
I can't do around the wall as there is a window and 2 closets we need access to.
So I want to center the table in the middle of the room.
thanks
Bill

Just a question Can you use your basement or attic for a layout... If space in a room with limited space already is present a basement or attic can afford more room & allow you to build a bigger layout instead of just a 4x8 sheet of plywood.... I used my the entire Back Wall of my Basement "IE I had to stop 4 foot short & leave space for my Heating Unit or I would of went the extra 4ft to build my Layout.... My layout is 17ft long x 6ft wide 2 Track Main / With 3 Track Interchange & with a small Passenger siding Track with terminal / & a 9 Track Yard is my layout & in the middle of 2 1/2 Build on my Layout so far Looking to be complete with it by Feb or March of this year... Good Luck with your Build
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

jbrock27

In my experience, most "apartments" don't come with attic space, and any basement space they may come with, is just big enough to act as a small area for storage.  But Bill can clarify whether his new apartment includes these options or not.
Keep Calm and Carry On

billgiannelli

Hi all!
It is an attic 2 bedroom apartment. I will setting up the 4' x 8' in the second bedroom which is 8' x 15'. It is anyones guess as to whether I will be able to go beyond the 4' x 8' as negations are ongoing as to how much of the bedroom I will get for model trains!
Bill

jbrock27

Negotiations can be tough.  You may need to bring in a mediator :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

billgiannelli

the square footage i am getting to devote to model trains keeps getting smaller!
I need a fellow modeler as a mediator!