News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

planning a new layout / layout tables

Started by billgiannelli, January 03, 2015, 07:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerrys HO

Pay for my train (not plane) ticket and I am yours ;D, I love to travel. Now the meals have to be to my liking as I like spicy food.
Did your pet rock sneeze too!

jbrock27

TM,

Brock in my experience layouts take some time to build especially if you have a job, a family, and other interests.

Gee, things I wouldn't know anything about.

I thought Bill said he lived in an apartment.

You're right.

I wouldn't want to live next door to a guy doing heavy carpentry, then possibly finish carpentry, on the other side of a 2x4 wall.  I've lived in  apartments next door to people who'd complain...

I would not categorize this work as 'heavy carpentry'.  2 x4 walls?  Sounds like lax building codes by you.  No insulation either?  I am sorry you have lived near people like that.

You folks that like tools and  making work for yourselves, have at it.

I think it is sad that is how you view it.  I think of it as accomplishing things and being self relient.  You must spend a lot of dough a year in services, such as having light bulbs changed for you and such.  Must be nice.

Or, even better, come over and build my next layout!  

I'll pass.  Something tells me you're not a great host.  Plus, I would be afraid to make too much noise.  And I don't really like Florida much.  I bet Jerry on the other hand, is a great host! :)

Mine comes in running the railroad rather than getting ready to run the railroad.

I know; you're on record that you don't like maintenance either.

Now, no one get me wrong, Bill's an adult (at least I think so since he said he has a Fiance) and gets to make big boy decisions for himself.  I am not pushing him to use tools if he does not want to.  That is totally up to him.  I just hope he remembers to look both ways before crossing the street ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

billgiannelli

Quote from: jward on January 03, 2015, 10:52:55 PM
bill how big is the room you are going to use?

Hi All!
As usual I love all the discussion and info!!!!
The room is 8.5' by 15'.
I won't be able to run the layout along the walls as there is closets on either side of the room.
So I plan to a table centered in the middle.
thanks
Bill

billgiannelli

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 04, 2015, 03:31:49 PM
TM,

Brock in my experience layouts take some time to build especially if you have a job, a family, and other interests.

Gee, things I wouldn't know anything about.

I thought Bill said he lived in an apartment.

You're right.

I wouldn't want to live next door to a guy doing heavy carpentry, then possibly finish carpentry, on the other side of a 2x4 wall.  I've lived in  apartments next door to people who'd complain...

I would not categorize this work as 'heavy carpentry'.  2 x4 walls?  Sounds like lax building codes by you.  No insulation either?  I am sorry you have lived near people like that.

You folks that like tools and  making work for yourselves, have at it.

I think it is sad that is how you view it.  I think of it as accomplishing things and being self relient.  You must spend a lot of dough a year in services, such as having light bulbs changed for you and such.  Must be nice.

Or, even better, come over and build my next layout!  

I'll pass.  Something tells me you're not a great host.  Plus, I would be afraid to make too much noise.  And I don't really like Florida much.  I bet Jerry on the other hand, is a great host! :)

Mine comes in running the railroad rather than getting ready to run the railroad.

I know; you're on record that you don't like maintenance either.

Now, no one get me wrong, Bill's an adult (at least I think so since he said he has a Fiance) and gets to make big boy decisions for himself.  I am not pushing him to use tools if he does not want to.  That is totally up to him.  I just hope he remembers to look both ways before crossing the street ;)

I may be engaged by I never said I was an adult!!!! :)

Trainman203

Dang Brock... Sorry I said anything.  I'm not that bad a guy.  I just don't like power tools.  Nothing wrong with that. If carpentry and layouts are a holy inseparable combination , tell me, I'll never mention alternative layout construction again.

I did give Bill a nice alternative to standard wood bench work.  Maybe I shouldn't have questioned convention.  There's no bible says you have to saw wood to build a layout.  Not everyone has to like doing that to be model railroaders.  Lighten up man, give us a break, please. Especially the personal digs.

Oh I did do my share of carpentry, I owned rent houses for 15 terrible years.  Gave up plenty of weekends doing what I didn't want to do.  Like I said, ain't doin no mo .

Also I don't live in Florida, don't know where you got that. i could say more but won't.

Enough of this jousting, I'm done.  I got a local freight ready to pull out of town.  Model railroading really is fun, really it is.

Jerrys HO

I guess I am not invited :'(. And to think I was making big plans to go to the lumber yard.

Trainman203

Jerry I bet I live closer than 5 miles from your house.  You live in Metairie, don't you?

Jerrys HO

I kinda figured you were close. don't ask how. What part.

billgiannelli

thank you all so much for your replies and info!
so to start another heated debate with an innocent question:
what sort of wood sheeting should I use for the table top? I want it to be stiff enough.
what grade, thickness, etc would you suggest?

thanks
Bill

jbrock27

Hello, gave my suggestion on this 6 hrs ago ;D (actually it was yesterday ::))

Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Well put. your getting the hang of it Bill. It's all in fun. Those who don't like it don't read it.
I use 1/2'' plywood with 1 1/2 foam board.

jbrock27

As usual I love all the discussion and info!!!!

I know, where can you go for this much entertainment this cheap :D

I may be engaged by I never said I was an adult!!!!

You live in Arkansas Bil? ;)

TM, it's all good.  A bit of tongue and check ;)  I know you are not a bad guy.  And no, not everyone who has a layout, has necessarily built it themselves or in conventional fashion (I am waiting for Les to state he built his 1st N scale layout in a desk drawer...)  I did not even click on your link but I am sure it offered an alternative for those who are all thumbs.  Being that way around models trains just strikes me as an odd combo.  How do you keep from breaking stuff?  How do you fix or repair anything?
Trust me, I am light and I am cutting breaks.  But you're the only one I am giving a hard time to, so there is no "us".  
I got FL from your mention of Gulf Coast.  That's great though, cause now I would not mind comin to visit ;D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

Really JB, you'll visit TM and not me. I'm over you.................OK I'm good.

jward

Quote from: billgiannelli on January 04, 2015, 10:31:50 PM
thank you all so much for your replies and info!
so to start another heated debate with an innocent question:
what sort of wood sheeting should I use for the table top? I want it to be stiff enough.
what grade, thickness, etc would you suggest?

thanks
Bill

if you use plywood, use 1/2" or thicker. I would stay away from things like osb, particle board, homasote, drywall, etc. you can use foam insulation board on top of the plywood if you so desire. this can be carved into hills and ravines.

I am trying to keep the construction as simple as possible for you. myself, I lay everything out on white pine board, with the pieces cut to fit the situation. this requires some basic woodworking skill, but yields a layout sturdy enough for me to walk on if need be. plus, I build my own track by hand, and pine is soft enough to drive those tiny spikes into, yet hard enough to hold them in place.

you had mentioned placing your table in the center of the room. you will have more area to work with if at least one side is against a wall. with a table up to 5 feet wide, you can still reach everywhere on the table if one of the 5 foot sides is against a wall.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Hey, when did the offer come from you Hoss (Jerry? )
Keep Calm and Carry On