News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Narrow gauge engines

Started by thomaskid86, January 03, 2015, 07:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamish K

To clear up any confusion, HOe is the European term for HOn30, both are HO scale (1:87),running on 9mm (N) gauge track.  OO9 is the British version, however the scale is different. It is British OO scale or 1:76 . ILike HOe and HOn30 OO9 also uses 9mm (N) gauge track.

I suspect  the Bachmann Thomas range will in fact be OO9. BacHmann is introducing a prototype OO9 range in Britain.

Bachmans Thomas range is not really scale in any case, being representations of the TV characters, not scale models of the original prototype engines. The scale difference, if there is one, shouldn't matter.

Hamish

jleight

Looked up the gauge definitions also. I agree with what you say about being scale. Being fictitious characters there is no real scale. Bottom line is Thomas runs on HO Gauge track and the new Narrow Gauge Skarloey runs on N Gauge track, or 009 or whatever you want to call it. I'm still excited to see them offered. Now the wait! ;D

Anthony P2

Well the characters are based off of real life counter parts ( i.e Thomas is an E2, Skarloey is based off of Talyllyn). Maybe Bachmann might take it into consideration to consult Skarloey's basis because he and the rest of the NG engines (excluding Duncan) have been produced in scale for the show. They went and measured the Talyllyn railway engines to make the characters look more accurate to their counter parts.

uscgtanker

I have seen this thread for narrow gauge Thomas plenty of times over the years. First bachmann is relishing hon30 WW1 locos and cars. There is a web page that you can find all the equipment. Parkside Dundas has everything you get most are kits and not all the cars had faces in the 4th series. I have been planing to build a welsh narrow gauge with my exciting american hon30 railroad, but as always that will take some time.

You can start purchasing PECO hon30 track and find some cheap N scale locos for scratch building mostly you need the mechanism.

good luck with your hunt

thomasj219

They actually have announced a narrow gauge line for Thomas starting with Slarloey and some wagons. Or is that to what you were referring?
All I want is, Stepney, Boco, Harvey.

uscgtanker

They have released hon30 locos and cars but not the Thomas range. What they are releasing is WW1 locos and cars. you can find it on bachmann eruope.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: uscgtanker on March 18, 2015, 07:28:40 PM
They have released hon30 locos and cars but not the Thomas range.
Bachmann announced a narrow gauge Thomas range that will be coming out in the future. You can find all of the upcoming items here:

http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=258_259_972

uscgtanker

Wow i did not know that at all till you posted the link. price is a little high but will look really good with a string of talyllyn coaches.