News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

F3a 20096

Started by Bob Banjany, January 03, 2015, 10:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Banjany

Hello,

I just bought this new (Williams 20096) from an online Hobby Shop.. Runs great, e -unit works fine but not a sound from this guy..No bell and no horn..? I opened it up and it has a sound board with a potentiometer but NO speaker ..? Has anyone ever seen this..It doesn't appear to be missing ..It just isn't there nor does it look like there is room inside for the speaker..? Any suggestions..?

Thanks,
Robert Banjany

r0gruth

Return it as soon as possible if it is supposed to have whistle/horn and bell.
Roger

phillyreading

Are you sure there is no speaker? ???
The speaker is sort of small in the newer engines then when Mr. Williams owned the Williams train line.

If no speaker get a hold of your internet store and tell them so and see if you can return it for  one that has everything.

Lee F.

Bob Banjany

There is definitely no speaker.. But like I say it doesn't look like there is anything missing in the unit.. The sound board is there and the electronic e-unit next to that .. There doesnt seem to be any space for the speaker with the sound enhancer..? This does state the below :

2032 O-27 Alco FA-2 Double A Diesels
2032 O-27 Alco FA-2 Double A Diesels

Road Name: Erie

Product Information

Locomotive Features:

AA length 22", height 3 1/2"
    4 wheel trucks with traction tires
    dual motors with coasting action
    electronic 6-amp reverse board
    True Blast IIĀ® digital horn and bell
    die-cast frame, trucks, and truck sides
    die-cast operating front couplers
    front headlights
    illuminated marker lenses and number boards
    add-on metal steps

Len

There should be two yellow wires coming off the sound board going to the speaker.

The 'True Blast II' unit looks like this:

If it's missing, you need to contact the folks you got it from ASAP.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Bob Banjany

I will check but I have about 25 Williams Diesels and I see no room for the speaker to be mounted..? I am familiar with the circuitry since I have many times opened them up and adjusted the Potentiometer inside for a louder sound..

Bob Banjany

Well I opened this up again and found the speaker.. Due to the reduced size of the FA2's they mounted it beneath the circuitry hidden from view.. I unwrapped the harness wires from the E-unit and sound card but found nothing obviously wrong..All solder joints looked good and not cold, no wires seemed to be broken or frayed.. All looks good ..This just doesn't work..? any thoughts other than replace the sound card..?

phillyreading

Have you adjusted the volume or potentiameter switch? It is the round thing near the yellow wires in the illustration, may need to be cleaned first then adjusted.

Lee F.

Bob Banjany

Yes I adjusted fully in both directions.. This isn't dirty..It is as new as can be ..

Len

This is weird. I've never seen a Williams/WBB with a bad sound board right out of the box. Not saying it couldn't happen, just never seen it.

Are you holding the horn button down, or just pressing and releasing?

Unlike other horns, where you have to hold the horn button down, the True Blast II is designed to do a full grade crossing signal (2 longs, 1 short, 1 long) with a quick application of the horn signal.

Are the red and black power leads plugged into the reverse board?

Len

Bob Banjany

Len,

This is also not the first WBB horn I have seen issue with .. I bought a Scale 24 Canadian Pacific 20049 about a year ago that didn't smoke or whistle.. I had to change the whistle and smoke unit and actually they still don't work that well.. The whistle works but the bell does not.. The smoke unit in all Williams steamers aren't very good..All wiring seems to be in tact without issue..

Len

At this point, since you purchased it new, all I can suggest is contacting Bachmann directly for possible warranty repair.

Len

Bob Banjany

Len,

Thank you for all your assistance ..

Regards,
Bob Banjany