question

Started by Irbricksceo, December 31, 2014, 06:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irbricksceo

I do not envy you...
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

Quote from: WoundedBear on January 05, 2015, 09:30:20 AM
It's a balmy -26C here this morning. T shirt weather.....lmao.

You guys don't know what cold is ;D

Sid

yea yea, blah blah

Don't blame us for living in the wrong part of the world ;D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 05, 2015, 06:32:10 AM
I went on a 'Valley Forge' camp out once with the Boy Scouts as a scout.  It was the most miserable camping experience I ever had.  The scouts were outside in canvass tents while the Scoutmasters, assistants and any other adults got to stay in a lodge with a fireplace  >:(

Jim-

I did a winter scout camp out similar to this in Minnesota. The adults (I was a Cubmaster) were supposed to sleep in a lodge but it was so cold the kids came into the lodge with the adults. We also put the kids on the bunks so most of the adults, including me, were on the floor. That wasn't too bad except that one kid or another went out or came back from the john about twice per minute all night, and I was about five feet from the door which only got fully closed about half the time. Man! That was one miserable night. I got a cold which didn't go away until my Cub Scout completed his Eagle.
                                                                                                                                         -- D

ACY

Don, colds are from being in close quarters with large groups of people such as the scout troop. Being outside or exposed to the cold can cause things like hypothermia but will not cause you to catch a cold. You may have known this but most people seem to think being outside on a really cold day will give them a cold when it is not the case at all.

Doneldon

Quote from: ACY on January 05, 2015, 02:43:04 PM
Don, colds are from being in close quarters with large groups of people such as the scout troop. Being outside or exposed to the cold can cause things like hypothermia but will not cause you to catch a cold. You may have known this but most people seem to think being outside on a really cold day will give them a cold when it is not the case at all.

ACY-

Of course I know that. But it's a better story if I don't.

-- D

rogertra

Yes, the temperature has nothing at all to do about catching a cold.

You cannot catch cold at either the north or south poles during their winters.  Why?  Because it's too cold for the virus to survive.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

I like your story Doc :D.  While I note that ACY and Roger tend to be quite literal ::)
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

roger I am unclear on what you just said.

if temperature has nothing to do with catching a cold, how can it be too cold for the virus to survive? obviously on some level temp does have something to do with it.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

Quote from: jward on January 06, 2015, 09:03:50 AM
roger I am unclear on what you just said.

if temperature has nothing to do with catching a cold, how can it be too cold for the virus to survive? obviously on some level temp does have something to do with it.

Sorry I was not clear.

What I meant was you cannot "catch cold" just by being cold.  Remember your mom saying something like "Wrap up warm or you'll catch cold."? Well that's not true, it's an old wives' tale.  

A common cold virus is typically transmitted via airborne droplets (aerosols), you walk past somebody with a cold who sneezes or, you simply breath in their exhaled breath, or by direct contact with infected nasal secretions, or by direct hand to hand contact or by touching an infected surface.  Like a door handle.  Antibiotics are of no use as the common cold is a virus, not a bacterial infection.

Therefore, as it's a virus, if it gets too cold, as in the polar regions during their winters and a virus lives mainly in living tissue, if it's too cold, the virus dies before it can reach it's next host.  At least, that's what I've read.

Is that better?

Cheers

Roger T.

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Irbricksceo

got the spacer pieces today. Thought I'd show what I'm dealing with. I haven't fastened anything down since, as the small cache of various pieces in the middle suggests, I'm tinkering with it still (now that I can see it in real life rather than lines on paper) so I might think of a thing here or there that I want to improve but this is the gist of it.

Modeling NYC in N