News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann HO engine #6308

Started by dude, January 04, 2015, 08:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dude

We were given a Bachmann train set  but cannot find any information on it.  The engine is a #6308 CN and has three white stripes.  All the engines we find on line have 4 or five stripes and are going in the wrong direction.  Any sadvise will be helpful.  Not sure whether to keep the set or trash it. 

jward

are you sure the locomotive is Bachmann? tyco made f type diesels painted as you describe.

http://tycotrain.tripod.com/locomotives/id2.html
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ACY

Jeff I think it is a 1970's era Bachmann locomotive. That number matches a locomotive Bachmann made back then.

jbrock27

Is that the only problem, the stripes are in the wrong direction?
Keep Calm and Carry On

dude

The set came with the engine, with #6308 on the side.  The three white stripes are angled away from the front end.  The box it came in says Bachmann 0508 "EMD" F9 Diesel Canadian National Electric Train - guaranteed for life.  All pieces are in their original boxes.  A wide vision  caboose #79355 on the side, but item #1061 on the box  CN, a flat bed with CN #149958 and item number #1061 on the box,  41" steel box car CN #290216 item number 0917 and  a 41" quad offset Hopper CN #789048 item number 1036 and of course all the tracks, battery pack and accessories. 

I am either looking up the wrong number or something.  I would just like to know whether to keep this set or not.  It is in working condition.

dude

It is a Bachmann.  The name is on the underside of the pieces

Len

The cars are okay, but probably have horn-hook couplers.

If it's the F9 with a can motor, they clean up pretty well, have all wheel pick up, and can pull a fair number of cars. If you run DCC, a hardwire decoder is fairly simple install.

If it's the really old one, with "pancake" motor and drive wheels all in one assembly at the front or back, with only 4 pick-up wheels on the other end, it's probably not worth doing more than giving it a drop of oil on each end of the motor shaft. It will pull the cars that came with it, and maybe one or two more. More than that and you may see smoke start coming out of the motor.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

Len it is the pancake motor unless it was modified by someone. This locomotive hasn't been made in Canadian National livery since the 1970's.

Len

Quote from: ACY on January 05, 2015, 06:04:24 PM
Len it is the pancake motor unless it was modified by someone. This locomotive hasn't been made in Canadian National livery since the 1970's.

Ugh! If it's lubed to loosen the motor up, their okay for dragging their own train around in loops. But too much slop in the drive for reliable switching actions with knuckles. Plus one or two extra cars can bog them down.

No CN, but I've swapped some other "ancient", and discontinued, shells I really liked to newer drive mechanisms.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Jerrys HO

If you don't want it you could always donate it to a child that is less fortunate, especially since it is in working condition.

dude

Thank you all for your responses.  Not being educated in train sets, I am to assume this one is "run of the mill"  and not worth much.  I think perhaps I will take the advise of passing it on to someone that will enjoy it.  Thanks again.   :)

ACY

Value of the set would be $25 at the most, but you would probably not be able to get more than $15 ot so. It is anaaverage 1970's era set, and average 1970's equipment was not very good quality compared to today's standards.

jbrock27

Hmmm, interesting; at the heart of this question/topic, was really a cleverly disguised "how much is this train set worth?" question.
Keep Calm and Carry On

dude

Actually, `how much is the trainset worth`was not cleverly disguised.  I asked up front if it was worth keeping or not., as I cannot find any information on it.  I am not interested in monetary value, only if the set was worth hanging on to or passing on.  Not having knowledge of train sets I found this to be a great source of information, aside from the comments by you, jbrock27.If you knew me, which you don`t, you would know that I donate things frequently.  Quite frankly, I am offended by your comment and you are not an asset to this site.

jward

if I am not mistaken, the very first Bachmann locomotives from the early 1970s were all wheel drive. if this is one of those, then I would play around with it. nothing ventured nothing gained. the cars on the other hand are not remotely up to to-days standards.

does the set have brass rail track? or steel track? brass is golden in colour, steel would be a silver-grey, possibly rusted a bit.

with regards to the paint job, there were evidently two versions produced by Bachmann. the one you have, should have the red colour coming to a point behind the cab. the other version has the red colour end in a vertical line just behind the cab door.

here are a couple of sites that may help you out:

http://tycotrain.tripod.com/bachmanntrainscollectorsresource/index.html
this site attempts to catalogue older Bachmann trains and accessories.

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=41
this is a forum, not associated with Bachmann, which is devoted to Bachmann products. some of these guys can bring even the worst basket cases back to life, with pics showing how they did it. they can probably help you out with what you have.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA