News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Boston & Maine smoke and sound??

Started by szammito, January 07, 2015, 11:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

szammito

Hey there...

Sorry Im new here and if the question has been asked Im sorry. I tried looking some but going through 431 pages did seem arduous. Im a rather regional individual and was looking at the Boston & Maine line. I was just wondering if there was a locomotive for that line that has both sound and smoke?? If not what would be the best locomotive to start with, any advice will be helpful, if you need more information please dont hesitate to ask. Thank you in advance for any help in this endeavor.

ACY

Bachmann doesn't make any locomotives with smoke and sound. Further smoke is just a novelty effect, that isn't realistic enough to warrant the oil residue that is left behind on the track after its use. The oily residue causes the track to get dirty faster and easier than it otherwise would and make operation more difficult and cleaning the track a daily task if not multiple times during a running session.

The only Boston and Maine steam locomotive with sound currently in production is the ALCO 2-6-0. And my advice is whatever you do, don't bother adding smoke as it is not worth the time and money for a novelty effect that will require you to run the train at full speed to get any significant amount of smoke to come out and that will make the track very susceptible to the build up of dirt due to the oil residue left from the smoke.

Boston & Maine #1360 - ALCO 2-6-0 - DCC Sound Value $235.00

dwbum

Hello and welcome to those of us that model Boston and Maine.
A solution I use is to purchase unlettered locos and apply decals. There is a company in NH, Highball Graphics, that has B&M and other New England railroads water slide decals.
Don

Len

Micro-Scale also has good early diesel and passenger car decals for the B&M.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Doneldon

Quote from: dwbum on January 08, 2015, 08:34:13 AM
A solution I use is to purchase unlettered locos and apply decals.

Don-

This will give you a locomotive with B&M markings but you won't necessarily have a model of a B&M locomotive. This
has been an issue for mass produced model train products since before I got into the hobby in the 1950s.                                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

electrical whiz kid

Don Blum;
Does this company do custom work?  And Doneldon is correct; but to some (I among them)l modeling what looks good appeals  to me.  Freelancing in my opinion, covers a multitude of sins and makes me happy.  Lazy perhaps, but happy.  That B&M Mogul isn't an exact replica of anything B&M had on its  roster-but it isaclose, nice-looking as well as nice running locomotive-and the price is right.   The "scale-rule Richards" do what makes them happy, and I do as well.  Have fun!
SGT C. 

Len

Quote from: Doneldon on January 08, 2015, 06:43:39 PM
Quote from: dwbum on January 08, 2015, 08:34:13 AM
A solution I use is to purchase unlettered locos and apply decals.

Don-

This will give you a locomotive with B&M markings but you won't necessarily have a model of a B&M locomotive. This
has been an issue for mass produced model train products since before I got into the hobby in the 1950s.                                                                                                                                                                                               -- D

You got that right! In spite of many manufacturers doing it, painting an F-7, which the New Haven never owned, in the McGinnis scheme does not magically turn it into a New Haven FL-9.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.