News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Detailing the mogul

Started by Trainman203, December 07, 2014, 03:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

Yeah, but Roger;
lacking a lot of the fine detail can be a blessing in disguise.  It is a good basic engine, runs well, and sounds good.  THis locomotive lends itself readily to a lot of modifications to suit individual tastes, without making a federal case out of super-detailing.  Like you, I favour  a smoke-box centre  mount headlamp, as well as a bell more behind the sand dome.  I have some brass that I will be "detailing also.  In all, I will be running about five moguls, four mikes, two prairies, and one 2-6-6-2 on a regular basis. Unless I find that I want more big steam, the Berkshires, the Texas, and the Santa Fes will snooze on the shelf.
SGT C.

Trainman203

Roger that is very close to the little moguls the T&NO ran down here.  I'm going to have to lower the headlight on one of mine.  Maybe Bachmann one day  will make an alternate smoke box front with center headlight, like they did on the Richmond 4-4-0.

rogertra

The main reason the bell is now above the smokebox is laziness on my part.

Removing the original headlight left a flat mounting pad behind.

Rather than take the time to carefully file the mounting pad down to match the diameter of the smokebox, it was easier to remove the bell, file the slight bump where the bell was mounted down to match the boiler diameter and mount the bell on the old headlight pad.  Besides, many of my GER locos have the bell mounted in front of the stack, so it was a no brainer.  :)

SGT C.  As for the extra detail, it's only class lights and boiler bands left.  Classification lights are easy as I already have some in my parts drawer and boiler bands, I'll follow the advice of Trainman and other regarding using pre-painted paper.

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Roger;
Do you know if these engines came equipped with a Worthington feed-water heater?  I wouldn't think so right off the bat; but if they do, then why not install that appliance on the smoke box in front of the stack where that offensive headlight is/was?? 
Also; Trainman 203:  Diamond tread, etc, can be found on this site:  www.railflyermodelprototypes.com  .  This stuff is pretty nice, but not exactly cheap.  Roger: "Cal scale" (marketed by Bowser) still carries a lot of brass steam parts.  They have some really nice headlights.  I usually move nay of mine that need it, down to the smoke box centre.
SGT C. 

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on January 05, 2015, 12:09:30 PM
Roger;
Do you know if these engines came equipped with a Worthington feed-water heater?  I wouldn't think so right off the bat; but if they do, then why not install that appliance on the smoke box in front of the stack where that offensive headlight is/was?? 
Also; Trainman 203:  Diamond tread, etc, can be found on this site:  www.railflyermodelprototypes.com  .  This stuff is pretty nice, but not exactly cheap.  Roger: "Cal scale" (marketed by Bowser) still carries a lot of brass steam parts.  They have some really nice headlights.  I usually move nay of mine that need it, down to the smoke box centre.
SGT C. 

Not sure if they'd put a heater on a 2-6-0 but I have my doubts.  Now watch someone prove me wrong.  :)

I have many Cal-Scale casting on hand and have just ordered a few extra bells so I have some spares in case of damage, ditto for whistles.

Cheers

Roger T.

RAM

When the 2=6=0s were built they didn't know what a feedwater heater was.  I don't think any were rebuilt with feedwater heaters.