News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachmann track pack 4x8

Started by tom311, January 05, 2015, 10:17:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom311

just wanting a train layout and think this is way to go for me. any advice/thoughts on the Bachmann track pack in nickel?alot on amazon say swithches are not good.one thing I have noticed is atlas and Bachmann are associated with micheal gross,,,does this mean same company?thanks

Len

Michael Gross did a series of "How To" videos for 'The World's Greatest Hobby' folks. http://www.greatesthobby.com/

One of which is "Building Your First Model Railroad", included in the #44596 "Your First Railroad Track Pack". Since TWGH isn't affiliated with any particular manufacturer, they did the layout in just about everyone's track system and scale. And at some point, several manufacturers offered similar track packs to build the layout.

The layout itself is based on the "Madison Central", built by Jim Hediger for Model Railroader magazine some years back. Which in turn was based on a layout built by a youth group even earlier.

As 4x8 layouts go, it's a good, basic 4x8 layout, without creating the "spaghetti bowl" effect. There's resonable possibility for operating two locos if you're using DCC. One switching the spurs, the other running the loop.

No idea why the switches are getting bad reviews. They aren't high end, like Shinohara, but they're no worse than other basic solinoid operated switches.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

tom311

as I searched world greatest hobby track pack I get, Bachmann,atlas, and kato.bachmann seems to be cheapest and kato seems to be out of stock.

Len

The 'Madison Central' track plan is available on TWGH web site, as well as several others. It's also in a number of track plan books. So if you're on a budget, you don't have to buy anyone's "Track Pack". Just buy the appropriate track sections as you find them on sale, and your budget permits.

Fleishmann did a track bundle for the 'Madison Central' some time back, but I don't think it's available any more. There are also plans and track lists around for doing it in 'N', 'S', and 'O' scales.

Len

tom311

the track packs are cheaper than buying the pieces. around 130- 160. for them with kato the higher one.and they are manual switches and Bachmann and atlas are remote.bachmann has the same pack in steel for 100. nickel like 130ish.

Len

It's not a case of which way is "Cheaper", but which was is affordable.

If you don't have the $$$ to buy the track pack, but enough to get a couple of packs of curves or straights each payday, it's more affordable to get the track pieces sepately over a period of time. Even though overall the complete track pack may be cheaper.

Len

jward

personally I feel you'd be better off forgoing the track pack and its 18r switches, in favour of #5 or #6 switches. I think you'll find that although they take up more room they will work better with your trains, especially if you back through them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA