News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Identify Bachmann diesel

Started by rsmjr, January 07, 2015, 12:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsmjr

Hi,
This is my first post. Like a number of members, I'm relatively new to this, although my N gauge set(s) are almost 30 years old! (I had a British set-up when we were in England.) But this question is about one of my American diesels: It's a Bachmann Conrail diesel, number 2956. Does anyone know what it is, or how old? I really liked it, but it quit running - smoke curling from the motor, and such ...
Thanks!

RGW

ACY

Your locomotive is designated as a General Electric U33B class, it was last produced in the 1970's. There are no parts available for this engine and it would not be replaceable at all. It is almost 50 years old probably.
Options for replacement in the same livery include:

The GP40

or the GE Dash 8-40C

The GP-40 is currently in production and readily available from most shops while the Dash 8-40C was in production fairly recently and may still be available in a few shops still.

rsmjr

Thanks for the help! I have been trying to send a very low-res photo (80 KB) of my loco, but the Forum says "the uploader is full" and I should try a smaller file. Smaller than 80KB? Really? Is there an administrator who can help, please?

ACY

Quote from: rsmjr on January 07, 2015, 02:09:51 PM
Thanks for the help! I have been trying to send a very low-res photo (80 KB) of my loco, but the Forum says "the uploader is full" and I should try a smaller file. Smaller than 80KB? Really? Is there an administrator who can help, please?
You cannot upload photos to the forum, it has been this way as far back as I can remember (over 10 years ago). You must upload your photo to a site like photobucket first and then link it here. You cannot upload photos or files directly to the forum.
Also I know what your locomotive looks like, uploading a photo won't make a difference for anything.

Is there anything else in particular you want to know about it?

rsmjr

Thanks to ACY, I can give you more information on my loco based on his photos (since my image won't upload). My engine looks just like the Dash 8, except mine has 4 axles. Does that help? Again, my Bachmann engine number is Conrail #2956. Thanks again.

ACY

I already told you you have a GE U33B made in the 1970's and that your locomotive is not going to be able to be fixed unfortunately. The only thing you can do is buy one of the locomtives I showed you to get the closest replacement to what you have. Your locomotive has no parts available and therefore can't be fixed short of buying a new locomotive.

rsmjr

Thanks again, ACY. Yes, you're right, I misread your response.
I'm not trying to replace the broken locomotive, just identify it; I like its look and size, and it was the aesthetics that made me want to find out what it is/was. Interestingly, another source said it might be a Dash 8-40B, which does look similar, except the nose is Dash nose is "sharper." (Please excuse the poor nomenclature; I said I'm a neophyte.) Also, since you work with Bachmann (I presume), I would guess you know which N-scale diesels Bachmann made back then. Also, my locos age favors your identity of it as a U33B.
I have another Conrail GE U28C (?) built by Minitrix about that time, also. It's probably not cool to mention another mfr in the Bachmann forum, but it was the brand I knew in England; my Brit engines are Hornby/Minitrix from the early to mid '80s.
Thanks again.

ACY

I don't work for Bachmann. But I am well acquainted with their products. The real life Conrail #2956 is the blue engine in the background of this photo. I identified the locomotive you had by this photo and by Conrail historical records that indicated what type or locomotive #2956 was. And I knew Bachmann made that type of locomotive back in the 1970's so it all lined up well.

James in FL

QuoteI already told you you have a GE U33B

Um...
Just FWIW ACY...
Sorry to disappoint, but Bachmann has never made a GE U33B in N scale.

@rsmjr,
ACY does not know the locomotive you have, although he is sure he does.
Bachmann has only produced one GE U-boat and that was back in '74.
It was a GE U36B. This may, or may not, be your loco.
Bachmann has not produced any Dash 8-40B yet either.

QuoteAlso I know what your locomotive looks like, uploading a photo won't make a difference for anything.
A picture is worth a thousand words, and would positively identify it.
Relying on road numbers to identify locomotive (type) manufactured by Bachmann, is ill advised.

ACY

Quote from: James in FL on January 07, 2015, 08:36:25 PM
@rsmjr,
ACY does not know the locomotive you have, although he is sure he does.
Bachmann has only produced one GE U-boat and that was back in '74.
It was a GE U36B. This may, or may not, be your loco.
Bachmann has not produced any Dash 8-40B yet either.
Relying on road numbers to identify locomotive (type) manufactured by Bachmann, is ill advised.
Sometimes manufacturers produce models that don't 100% line up with what existed in real life, the real life locomotive was a U33B, so the Bachmann model more closely resembled the U36B. Most people can't tell the difference between a U33B and a U36B anyways. By process of elimination his locomotive can only be the U36B. Bachmann only made Conrail diesels in a few configurations the GP-40 and the Dash 8-40C and the U36B which was supposed to represent the U33B. Conrail never had any U36B's to speak of as it turns out. And by what the original poster is saying it sounds as if he has the U-boat, the Dash 8-40C is too new, it came out around 2007 or 2008 I think and if he had got the locomotive in the past 6-7 years he probably would remember more details. Plus he said his loco had 2 axle trucks and the Dash has 3 axle trucks. And the GP40 does not resemble a Dash while a U-Boat has some resemblance. Meaning with 99% certainty he has the U36B with actually was supposed to be a U33B.

Also, did you mean to say Dash 8-40B or 8-40C?
The pic below is the C, I never mentioned the B, although the picture I used from the Bachmann website might be a B, it said it was a C