Power Pack with no DC current

Started by squibbys, January 07, 2015, 01:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squibbys

Hi Everyone -  I am new to model trains and have just bought a power pack to get things "rolling".  The problem I am having is there is no current coming from the dc track connection.  I checked with a multimeter (no amperage) at the source terminals so I bought another power pack (different kind) with the same problem.  The AC terminals are measuring voltage/amps. I just can't get the DC terminal to work  No shorts that I know of because other electrical machines work fine on the outlet. Maybe a circuit breaker trip. I have the atlas universal power pack.  Can anyone think what the problem is?  I am getting frustrated and am trying to get my 1st locomotive to run.  I have no idea what to do.  Please help.  :O)

jbrock27

No amperage or no voltage?   Just so it is understood, are you measuring directly from the contacts on the power pack?  Where did you buy the packs you are having trouble with?  New or used?   Do you have an alkaline battery you KNOW is good to check it on the meter, just on the off chance, the DC measurement on the meter is no good anymore?  What brand meter is this?
Keep Calm and Carry On

squibbys

I am not getting any readings on the atlas universal power pack (from amazon), voltage or amps.  I just got off the phone with atlas and they told me the red light showing on the knob indicates a short somewhere.  From the very start there was a red light (thought that meant the power pack was "on", i guess not).  The multimeter is a craftsman.  The meter is good because I checked a computer power supply I had laying around.

Maybe I am doing something wrong because neither power packs work (the other is a generic with no labeling I bought at a hobby store - used though)

I check the tracks and the wires gong to the track terminals too.

Thank you for your help.  I really enjoy these model trains and don't want to get distracted from the fun :O)

ebtnut

It sounds like you have the pack wired to the track.  Based on your conversation with Atlas, disconnect the pack from the track and check the voltage and see if the red light goes out.  Of course, you have to crank up the controller some to get the DC flowing.  If the red light is still on and there is no voltage, I'm guessing that the pack(s) were faulty from the start or got damaged in shipping. 

jbrock27

Agree.

You need to islolate whether the problem is at the pack or once the wires are connect to the track.  This is how come I asked if your checking voltage directly at the pack.  Once you start to turn the knob, you should begin to get DC readings if you are on the DC terminals of the pack.  It is odd you're having the same problem with 2 packs.  

Your meter is a good one ;)
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

I saw this once when my repair shop was open. Customer brought in a "bad" power pack with one track wire under an "AC" accessory screw, the other under a "DC" track screw. Double check the track wires are all in the right place.

Also, if you're using extra power feeders to the track make sure none of them are reversed from the others. That will create a short.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

ACY

You are in the US or Canada correct? If not then it is likely you damaged the electronics if you didn't have the right converter.

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 07, 2015, 02:42:54 PM
???
If the original poster is in another country and he plugs in the power pack, it could show an overload due to not being the correct voltage. US and Canada is 120V, other countries have 240V.

jbrock27

I get that, thanks ACY,  but don't believe that applies here.  Unless Craftsman multimeters are common worldwide.  Not that someone outside of the US or CAN couldn't have one in their possession.
Why don't we ask the question of squibby?
Where are you squb?

PS-ACY-did you mean like the guy who is in South Africa and did not pay any attention to that aspect of different voltages?
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

He could have bought it in the US. Also they sell Craftsman tools in a few other countries too, Sears and Roebuck have holdings in a few coutries which stock Craftsman.

jbrock27

Could have bought which in the US, the pack or meter?

Let's see what squibby sez.
Keep Calm and Carry On

squibbys

I live in the US. Everything I believe came from us supplier (atlas) :)

jbrock27

Thank you squibby for clearing that up :)

Any luck checking anything further?
Keep Calm and Carry On

squibbys

Nope,  I sent the power pack back to atlas for repair.  I'll start anew when the new one is returned.  I'm sure everyone is riveted with the prospect of getting this working, me included. Lol,   ;)