storing trains in cold weather out in shed ?

Started by union pacific 4014, January 08, 2015, 03:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 4014

what should i be  considered with   like my nce dcc system and decoders and dcc sound locos   ? shed is water tight  im in il us  so right now its jan 8th and its -3 degrees sometime it gets colder  here in the winter

dasBM2-6-0

EXTREME temperature variations should be avoided.....But cold storage CAN be done, provided MOISTURE is controlled.....
Desiccant (ie., silica gel, etc) is an inexpensive means of keeping moisture to a minimum.....just use enough for the area you're controlling..
Try to eliminate "air pockets" -- sealing locomotives in Zip-Loc bags with a small packet of silica gel, and REMOVING excess air...then packing in sawdust or shredded
newspaper will offer a lot of protection....
Obviously, if you bring something from COLD to WARM.....allow PLENTY of "thaw" time at room temperature before use....
Good luck!

May your freight ALWAYS roll smoothly...and ON TIME!!

Len

Not a great idea. Especially if you're talking about storing things until next Christmas. Attics and outside sheds that are not enviromentally contrlled, as well as damp basements, are the worst places to store model train equipment.

Except for water when it turns into ice, most things shrink as they get colder. When you get into temps that low, and parts shrink, things are going to start loosening up that shouldn't. Plastic cases also become brittle, and crack much easier than normal. You'll also have the potential for condensation on and around electrical and electronic components when things are brought inside, where it's warm and humid, from temperatures that low. When summer comes, the shed warms up, things expand again, and micro-cracks start developing in plastic and metal castings. Humidty generally goes up, and not good things start happening to PC boards.

The first year or two, you may not notice anything's happening. But over time, you will start seeing problems with model train equipment stored in areas exposed to temperature and humidity extremes.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Agree with Len.
I have bought new, unopened sectional track that had the plastic "warped", which in turn, caused one end to become out of gauge.  I suspect it warped bc of it being stored in a place where the temp got high, for long periods.  I have read of people reporting that happening after storing track in their attic.
Keep Calm and Carry On

trainmainbrian

I WOULD NOT RECOMEND STORING IN A SHED AT ALL.... NOT A GOOD IDIEA....
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

union pacific 4014

ok  im out in the country  there is are our old house i can store them in to  where live a Mobile home right after moving out of the old farm house a tree knock  off the blocks it was on  built on it has to heat or electric going to it and  im only storing them few a few months wail we figure out the electrical problem and fix it  in the Mobile home  just need room to work

jbrock27

Matt, is that the same mobile home you were reporting the burning smells from the freezer unit?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

UP4014-

There are several places I would NEVER store model trains: attics, garden sheds regardless of their condition, mobile homes or campers, garages, or any other place with potentially uncontrolled heat or humidity. In my experience, cold temperatures are much less destructive as long as excessive moisture is controlled during warm up. This is usually as easy as sealing cold items in plastic until they warm up.

I have a wine room which stores that commodity safely and effectively. I would never use it for trains because wine
needs so much more humidity. However, the wine room does serve to demonstrate the importance of appropriate storage
for various kinds of goods.
                                          -- D

jbrock27

Help me; why would wine in a bottle need humidity ???
Keep Calm and Carry On

union pacific 4014

yes it is jbrock27 now only half  mobile home  has power  and the half that don't have power is the  room with my trains in it  and serve lights don't work and outlets now so where  moving stuff in to storage  in case that we  have to move its already pack up  and ready to go  im concerned with the safety of trains i bought well of course my safety to     

jbrock27

Yes Matt, that is certainly the primary concern.  I thought there was a plan to move to a bigger, safer, farm house?
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Make sure they have anti-freeze in the cooling system...
SGT C.

Jhanecker2

to Jbrock : It is to keep the corks from drying out on the outside and letting the cork crumble and cause the wine to leak or admit air to madaerize . John2.

jbrock27

Ahhhh, makes sense JH2.  Thank you for taking the time to answer my question on the wine and humidity :)
Keep Calm and Carry On

union pacific 4014

we could not come up with the money to move and  still don't  jbrock27                                      how  pack up your train  and move/store them ?