News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bringing an old set back to life

Started by patzwaldb, January 08, 2015, 11:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patzwaldb

Hi folks,  I am creating a loop around the game room and hope to run a 10+ year old Bachman Christmas set around the loop.  I also have a Christmas trolley.  I had originally gave the set to my sister for her Christmas tree but she relocated and didn't have room so it is back at my house. 

My initial try at running the train presented a problem with the front truck wanting to derail.  The front wheels drop off the rails.  Is there something I am doing wrong?  I didn't do any maintenance on the unit since it looks like brand new and I don't think it has ran an hour in it's existence. 

All help appreciated.  I have an O Gauge layout and do a lot of work on Lionel but this G is a new thing to me.  I am also cleaning a bunch of LGB brass track if anyone has recommendations.  It appears I can make the Bachman track work with the LGB by pulling the slot pins.
Lionel Bob

veetwelve

Hi Bob,

Check out this page on George Schreyer's website... the first thing he discusses about the Big Hauler is derailments.

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html

Good luck!
Jay

patzwaldb

Thanks for the lead.  Lots of great information there.  I think this is probably like getting a free cat.  I am pretty sure the costs are going to keep on coming.  I am going to work on cleaning track tonight and then I may get the Christmas trolley out and see how it runs.

Bob
Lionel Bob

Seaboard Air Line Fan

I recently got my first Ten-Wheeler and one of the things I did was to modify the pilot truck according to the link provided above.  I ran it on an 8' circle during Christmas and had zero derailments.

I used .060" thick brass instead of .030" and so far so good.

Bob D.

patzwaldb

The track cleaning is going well.  A scotch pad, Bonami, and a soak in white vinegar really does the trick.  I looked at the front carriage and I think I have it figured out but the two rubber?? slides that hold the axle are cracked.  Is the best source for replacement Bachmann?
Lionel Bob

patzwaldb

Things are partially up and running.  I need more track but first I need to replenish the bank account.  I did notice the Big Hauler Locomotive headlight is out.  Anything special I need to do to replace it?  I also noticed the tender makes noise a long time after the power is shut off.  Is that normal?
Thanks,
Bob
Lionel Bob

Joe Zullo

The sound from the tender is independent of track power. It runs on the 9 volt battery and a close circuit signal from the loco front axle to produce the chuff. The older ones had no cutoff circuit and if the loco stopped with the switch on the front axle closed, it continues to hiss. It sounds just like a blow down.

patzwaldb

Lionel Bob

veetwelve

Hi Bob,

Regarding your Big Hauler's headlamp... if you'll go about halfway down the page on the George Schreyer link referenced earlier, you'll see the innards of the headlamp; now would be a great time to replace that with a bright LED!

Regarding the battery for the chuff (sound), check out page 12 of the owner's manual, furnished on this link:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/Big_Hauler_Instructions.pdf

Good luck!
Jay

patzwaldb

Good morning,  I found the battery this morning and promptly removed it.  That battery has probably been in there for 10 years.  Eveready brand so give the company a kudo because there was no leakage.  I will replace tonight.  I am assuming the headlight runs on track voltage?

Thanks,
Bob
Lionel Bob

Joe Zullo

Correct. Headlight runs on track power.