News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann gp40 won't run

Started by MrMoose, January 08, 2015, 03:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMoose

I just received a Bachmann gp 40 dcc ready But it won't run, the headlight and reverse lights come on but it don't move.
I know that my power and track is hooked up right because my other locomotive run just fine.
So I disassembled it to look for wires touching and such but I see no issues there. But I took the motor out and it has a bunch of  capacitors wired to the case of the motor and to both + and - terminals on the motor...looks like they make a complete circuit to both sides. Need to know what that it all about and if it is needed or not.
Thanks.

Len

If it's 'DCC Ready' there should be a dummy plug in the 8-pin decoder socket. If the dummy plug is missing power can't get from the wheels to the motor, and the loco doesn't run. If it's missing you can get a replacement from several sources, or install an 8-pin decoder.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

MrMoose

Len

Okay. With power applied, what happens if you try moving the brass flywheel one way or the other? Does it start moving, or still just sit there?

Len

MrMoose

It just sit there. I took the motor out and de-soldered  the caps and touched the leads to a 12v supply and the motor spun just fine. I tried to touch the leads to the track and it acted like it wanted to spin but it doesn't. Do the motor have to be wired to the board for it to work on the track?

Jerrys HO

Moose,
I believe in another post you stated you are running DCC, if so it takes more power to get it moving sometimes more than half throttle. Does the motor hum when the lights are on.
Second question is why waste time and money purchasing analog engines, just buy DCC on board and save time, money and headaches.

MrMoose

This is DDC ready it just don't have a chip in it. just the dummy plug is installed. I will try to set the cv for motor voltage

jward

you can't set cvs in a locomotive without a decoder.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

MrMoose

Len

And yes, the motor has to be connected to the board with the dummy plug on it. That's why the dummy plug is there, to connect the power pick up from the wheels to the motor when no decoder is installed.

Len

MrMoose

While I had the motor out I tried to just touch the motor leads to the track rails and it wouldn't spin is that normal?

jbrock27

The motor is still a DC motor and it should run from a DC power source like a power pack.  Is it possible you don't have the track properly wired up?  Do you have the ability to connect the motor leads to the terminals of a DC power pack and test it with power from the pack instead of the rails?

*And was this loco brand new or second hand?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Irbricksceo

You still need a decoder, DCC is pseudo AC in a way, DC motors wont function correctly and you risk damaging it.
Modeling NYC in N

MrMoose

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 08, 2015, 09:46:00 PM
The motor is still a DC motor and it should run from a DC power source like a power pack.  Is it possible you don't have the track properly wired up?  Do you have the ability to connect the motor leads to the terminals of a DC power pack and test it with power from the pack instead of the rails?

*And was this loco brand new or second hand?

I unplugged the power pack from the pcp panel and ran a couple of leads from it to the motor leads and it spun like crazy.
So would I have a bad board on the locomotive not letting voltage thru? The Nce power cab is ok it runs my other loco just fine.

Hunt

NCE Power Cab can control only locomotives with DCC decoder installed. A DCC Ready locomotive does not have a decoder installed.