News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachman Loco coming off of tracks

Started by captainron19, January 08, 2015, 04:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainron19

First let me explain..... I completely new to HO Trains

Bought my son a Bachman Echo Express DCC setup.   Bout some extra track with a few that have switches for his layout.

Yesterday was first day running the train and I noticed that the front wheels of the locomotive occasionally come off of the track rails.   I looked at the screw holding them in place and it is as tight as it will go so there is no adjusting I assume.  

Today the train keeps coming off of the track at one of the curves that is actually a left turn switch.   It seems to stay on the track ok if it is taking the turnoff but if I have the switch in the main position to continue on the main track it seems to come off at that point every time.   I run the regular cars across that section by hand and they travel smooth and never derail (only the loco)  Am I missing something?   I noticed where the loco attaches to the coal tender there are 2 small circles for the pin to attach into.   Does it matter which one it uses?

By the way I am using the Bachman EZ track

Doneldon

Ron-

Several things caught my attention. First was the tight screw on what I must assume was the pony truck on the loco. Those can't be clamped down as doing so will inhibit the motion the truck needs to stay on the track. If your pony truck is clamped down so the wheels are pointed straight ahead they should negotiate the through or straight option for your turnout. However, the rigid pony truck should force a derailment if your loco is trying to take a diverging (curving) route.

Second, the holes for connecting the loco and tender. Those allow you to vary the distance between the loco and tender to
account for very tight curvatures. They shouldn't be a problem for you now.
                                                                                                                  -- D

Jerrys HO

Ron,
Seems Big D is loosing his touch as everything caught his attention except that when going through the turnouts it seems your wheels are picking the points. You may have to file the ends down a little to get them to set tight against the other rail. Do a search on turnout problems and you will find more info in correcting this issue than you can imagine or I have time to post.

Doneldon

Quote from: Jerrys HO on January 08, 2015, 06:40:22 PM
Seems Big D is loosing his touch as everything caught his attention except that when going through the turnouts it seems your wheels are picking the points.

Jerry-

Well, someone sure seems to be loosing [sic] his touch but
it isn't me. I clearly showed how the wheels would pick the
points though I admittedly didn't use the correct
terminology.
                     -- D

jonathan

OK.  To get the right picture in my mind:

Your train set has the sound value 2-6-0, correct?

Move just the locomotive through the turnout, you mentioned it derails goind through the straight, not the divergent position.

Is it the pony truck only that derails (the two small wheels in front), causing the rest of the locomotive to derail?  Do the main drivers derail?

It may be as simple as a small adjustment to the pony truck, which is not uncommon for most new locomotives.  Pony trucks tend to be very light weight and are sensitive especially when moving through turnouts.

Simple fixes are to make sure the small wheels are in gage, adding a little weight to the truck, or ensuring the wheels are able to spin fairly easy.

Sometimes the turnout itself may need a small adjustment.  We can help you with that if you can tell us exactly at what point on the turnout the wheels lift off the track.

Just a couple thoughts.

Regards,

Jonathan

captainron19

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yes it was the pony truck section that kept coming off of the rails causing the rest of the locomotive to derail when it came in contact with the turnout.... it didnt matter if it was staying on the main track or if the switch was flipped to have the train take the turn

(I had to google Pony Truck because I am that new to the hobby LOL)

I gave it a little adjustment ...... (needed to be bent down a bit to keep in constant contact with the rails) and not only is it no longer de-railing but the pony truck is in contstant contact with the rails at all times now and the train is running great!

jonathan

Ron,

Congrats on the pony truck fix.

If you find yourself expanding your fleet of locomotives, you'll find nearly every locomotive, from every manufacture, requires minor "tweaking" in order to run smoothly.

It's something we learn to live with and get to enjoy as time moves forward.

Regards,

Jonathan

captainron19

Thanks!   My son asked for a train set for Christmas and he LOVES IT so far...... but to be honest I think I am loving it just as much.   Wanted to do it right so I dedicated our spare room to it..... built him a nice 4 x 8 table Now I am starting to run all the wiring for switches and some accessories I picked him up yesterday (light up street poles and such).

Irbricksceo

Seem's we've got another one!

Yeah, its kinda funny how little tweaks can improve so much.
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

While "tweaking" is an important and terrific skill to have when it comes to model railroading, I can't support this statement:
Quote from: jonathan on January 09, 2015, 09:52:23 AM
...you'll find nearly every locomotive, from every manufacture, requires minor "tweaking" in order to run smoothly.

Outside of used locos that I have bought for the purpose of reviving and modifying, I have not found this to be the case with any new locos I have purchased as of late, even ones that may be a few years old but "new in box".  I have even bought ones that are new in their box from 37 years ago, that run great w/o any tweaking, right out of the box.

Frankly, I believe alot has to do with the type, model and manufacturer of the locomotive that determines the tweaking part.

Just my 2 cents ;D.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Jim;
"Tweaking", or at least a cursory inspection of any locomotive is absolutely essential; if only for one's peace of mind.  Go through with your trusty NMRA gauge, especially the trucks/wheel-sets.  My experience, especially with brass, is that it saves a lot of frazzled nerves, as well as the introduction of many and sundry four-letter words.
Check for excessive looseness in fasteners; especially the ones holding the trucks to the engine; couplers also figure into
this routine.  A droplet of oil (I like LaBelle's line of lubricants) judiciously applied to moving parts like rods, cranks, etc.; may be needed.  Do so sparingly.  Much about this topic is on line in several places on ye olde computer.  I urge you-especially if you are new to this gig-to read this material; it is absolutely essential; or the model railroad police might come in the night and take you away...
SGT C.

jbrock27

Thank you Sarge, but I already do a cursory inspection of any locomotive which includes checking wheel gauge, but more often than not, I don't bc it runs right out of the box w/no problems.  I don't consider this checking to be "tweaking" and as I stated above, I don't find I have needed to "tweak" any locos to get them to run properly, outside of the ones I have bought for the purpose of tweaking.  I also would not categorize maintenance as "tweaking".  On that note, I found most new locos are over-lubed and the last thing they need is more lube.
But, I also do not buy brass or steam locos.
Keep Calm and Carry On

electrical whiz kid

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 10, 2015, 08:39:49 AM
Thank you Sarge, but I already do a cursory inspection of any locomotive which includes checking wheel gauge, but more often than not, I don't bc it runs right out of the box w/no problems.  I don't consider this checking to be "tweaking" and as I stated above, I don't find I have needed to "tweak" any locos to get them to run properly, outside of the ones I have bought for the purpose of tweaking.  I also would not categorize maintenance as "tweaking".  On that note, I found most new locos are over-lubed and the last thing they need is more lube.
But, I also do not buy brass or steam locos.

Jim; my dealings with brass have been varied and much;  I do say that brass does, more often than not, require tweaking based upon the skill of an expert watchmaker and the nerves of a steel-worker!  They are tough.  My experience with plastic is [that] Bachmann tops them all.  Good product, easy to work on, modify, etc.  I like that I could, in the "early days", take a 2-6-6-2, modify it's looks a dite, install a Tsunami decoder, and voy-al-a!!!  There you have it:  Custom by Sarge...  And day-um-it actually runs too!!!