News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann gp40 won't run

Started by MrMoose, January 08, 2015, 03:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMoose

Yes I did finally figured that out. I hookup my E-Z command controller and button 10 is for analog and the Locomotive ran just fine. So I'll Have to get a decoder to run it with my NCE system. That I didn't know....Live and Learn.

jbrock27

Glad I could help you figure out there was nothing wrong with your 12V DC motor Moose ;)

Brick, please see the results of Moose's test of just the motor using DC.  I was not telling him he would not need a decoder in order to have his loco function on DCC.  After he removed the motor from everything, he was having trouble getting the motor to just run by itself and was concerned they may be something wrong with it.  Since the motor is a DC motor, it itself can be tested using a DC power supply.  I know you have heard/read/seen people who take non DCC (analog) locos like Spectrums, Bachmann Pluses, Athearn Blue Boxes, Walthers Trainline, Proto 2 and 1Ks and have converted them to DCC running, w/o having to replace the motor. Why?  Bc the motor still operates from DC.

I would like someone to confirm for me if my understanding of the motor is all wet or not.   Thank you very much.    
Keep Calm and Carry On

Irbricksceo

I'm a little unsure what you are asking me. I never said he should replace the motor. He said he touched the motor leads to the rails, which wouldn't have fed pure DC.
Modeling NYC in N

jbrock27

Quote from: Irbricksceo on January 09, 2015, 09:03:59 AM
I'm a little unsure what you are asking me. I never said he should replace the motor. He said he touched the motor leads to the rails, which wouldn't have fed pure DC.

I am not asking anything of you Brick.   I had typed the above in response to your post here:
Quote from: Irbricksceo on January 08, 2015, 10:31:30 PM
You still need a decoder, DCC is pseudo AC in a way, DC motors wont function correctly and you risk damaging it.

I also never said, that you said, that he should replace the motor.
Keep Calm and Carry On