News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DC conversion to DCC

Started by william webb, May 30, 2015, 03:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

william webb

Can some one tell me how to convert my fairly large DC ON 30 lay out to DCC.
I have been putting this off for years now and would like to know what I would have to do to convert, such as wiring, cost etc.
The main reason for doing this is I can not find a suitable power supply with a sound system for steam locomotives, and I need a new power pack as one of my 2 power packs will not run the Heisler locomotive and I have been told that is because of the sound module.

I have been checking out the Bachmann Easy Command Digital Command Control System as the price seems to be in my price range.
Thanks

William Webb

ACY

You will need to purchase a booster most likely,  if you opt for the EZ-COMMAND system. The MSRp of the system and booster will be in the ballpark of $350 if I am not mistaken. To add a non-sound DCC decoder to each locomotive will cost roughly $50 for a decoder with BEMF and some other advanced features. If you prefer to add DCC and sound to each locomotive, expect to pay roughly $150-$200 for the sound decoder, speaker, and any other related expenditures.
Keep in mind that sale prices can vary greatly from the manufacturer's suggested retail price.

william webb

I am more concerned about the wiring that is required for converting to DCC and is there any thing about what to do with switches that are on my lay out.
My Locomotives  are all Bachmann that have decoders already installed on them.

mabloodhound

William,
If your layout runs well on DC and all the proper blocks are working then converting to DCC should be easy.  No re-wiring required.
I would also look at some of the more advanced DCC systems.  You may find that the EZ Command is just too basic and limited controls for your liking.  Look for a used system on e-bay where someone has upgraded to the newest and is selling of their perfectly good used system.  Definitely look at the Bachmann Dynamis as well as NCE (my preference).
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Bucksco

Here is a post that shows what it takes to put a DCC decoder into an HO steam loco

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,27718.0.html

On30 would be a similar install in method and price. An EZ Command unit will work fine for control and sound and a booster can be added later if you need more power for your layout. DCC Turnouts are available from Bachmann in the EZ Track line.