News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track Polarity

Started by dstuttgen, January 09, 2015, 02:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstuttgen

On the curved Bachmann re-reaier tracks with the dual power tabs; which tab goes to which rail?   {example:   =((=  } 
Can you explain it for me?

Thanks, Dan ???

Piyer

If you are referring to it having connections on the inside and outside of the curve, both sets go to both rails. It's that way simply so that you can connect to whichever side is convenient.
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

dstuttgen

Quote from: Piyer on January 09, 2015, 04:11:12 PM
If you are referring to it having connections on the inside and outside of the curve, both sets go to both rails. It's that way simply so that you can connect to whichever side is convenient.
That would be a direct short.   //
                                       ======
                                            \\
There are two tabs on either side; one tab powers one rail, the other tab, the other rail.  So if you are facing the piece of track from one side, thus :-)  =((=  which tab powers the near rail and which powers the far rail?

Len

I can't give you an answer off the top of my head, but you'll find a cheap (under $10) continuity tester a handy thing to have for track work. You can get them at Radio Shack, most home improvement stores, and auto parts stores. It will tell you real quick what connects to what.

I can tell you the tabs directly opposite each other go to the same rail. So looking at one side, the right hand tab goes to the rail connected to the left hand tab on the other side.

It would have been nice if the connectors had been 'keyed', so you don't have to worry about flipping it by accident if unplugged for whatever reason.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

If Bachmann N gauge track connected the same as Bachmann HO track
When looking from either side of track,

Left tab is connected to far rail
   Right tab is connected to rail nearest you

-------------\R/-----\L/-------------

-------------/L\-----/R\--------------

you

dstuttgen

Thank you Hunt. That helps me.

Dan