Main Menu

Benchwork Help

Started by Fxguy1, January 10, 2015, 05:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fxguy1

Can anyone please help me out? I'm looking for:

1) A good recommendation for a book on benchwork

and

2) Help figuring out how to build a table that will disassemble into smaller pieces when not in use.

also any good web site resources on bench work would be great as well.

Thanks!

Len

The books here http://www.kalmbachstore.com/modeltrains-railroading-model-railroading-books-essentials-series.html contain a lot of information on getting started in the hobby. Including the one on benchwork, which covers several types, several of which are readily adaptable to sectional designs.

If your LHS doesn't carry them, you can order direct from Kalmbach or from your local bookstore.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

Two books that have this info + more: The abc's of Model Railroading by Model Railroader and HO Layouts For Every Space by Atlas.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

While it's still available new or used from some suppliers, the "ABC's of Model Railroading from the Pages of MR" was published by Kalmbach and is out of print. It, and a few other older 'How To' books, were replaced by the "Essentials" series I noted above.

The Atlas books are still available.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

mabloodhound

Your idea of disassembly is good.  Maybe you might want to consider building modules.  They come apart easily and can be moved to new locations.  Small enough to handle by one person.  There's a lot out there by many of the module group folks.
And remember to keep your work light weight.  Use open frame techniques and extruded foam base.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

jbrock27

Quote from: Len on January 11, 2015, 10:05:44 AM
While it's still available new or used from some suppliers, the "ABC's of Model Railroading from the Pages of MR" was published by Kalmbach and is out of print. It, and a few other older 'How To' books, were replaced by the "Essentials" series I noted above.

The Atlas books are still available.

Len

True, but "abc's" is easily find-able.  It is nice to have options; I like options and believe in being flexible.
Keep Calm and Carry On