News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Do they make frame in copper before?

Started by badkarma, January 10, 2015, 08:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrical whiz kid

ebtnut

The big issue with Zamak was/is the possibility of lead contamination.  Any trace of lead in the mix will eventually lead to internal corrosion and eventual failure of the metal.  Some of the early cast metal kit manufacturers, especially John English, had problems with this.  There is no way to counteract the process.  The piece will just crumble away. 

Doneldon

The old white metal disease is what brought Central Valley to its
knees. Many trucks just fell apart. However those which have managed
to survive 'til now seem to be solid.
                                                       -- D

electrical whiz kid

Don; with reference to Central Valley:
With their line of track, tie/switch strips, and rail (which can be bought several places; plus their tech assist, I hope they continue the upward trend they are on.  Jack was truly a pioneer along the likes of Gordon Varney, Bill Walthers, etc.   I am going to use their tie strip, code 70 rail and switch modules in my yards and servicing areas.  It definitely has some advantages.  Not to sound snooty, but it is my opinion [that] this product is not for new-bees or those with a light approach to this hobby.  Their passenger trucks were non-parielle" (sp?) in this business; especially his side frames.   
SGT C.

Doneldon

Len-

Zamac comes in a large array of recipes so it can look like many different metals. All of them, however, have similar
electrical and physical properties.
                                                    -- D