News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Looking for a loco

Started by trainmainbrian, January 12, 2015, 07:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainmainbrian

Hi Can anyone help me... I was looking in the Bachmann store for a Loco....
I think its a ALCO I am looking for....
The Loco has a FAN on top of the front of the Loco & like a half round shape cab I believe they call these Alco's
I am looking for it in Lehigh Valley I model Pennnsy & Lehigh Valley on my layout.... I did my homework & the LV ran a lot of Alcos & F-7's & there was another Loco the LV ran too looks like an F-7 but with a longer front nose cant recall what type of loco this is...

Can anyone help me with the names I am trying to model my layout with all ERA correct rolling stock & Locos....

Thanks any help would be helpful so I can get them ordered
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

electrical whiz kid

One dead giveaway of an Alco (American Locomotive Company) diesel is the half-round" roof on the road switchers.
Their "F" and "P" series diesels, with the exception  of one or two types, had that "boxy" nose that gave them that "I mean business" look.  Their "P" series diesels were often called "Alco's glamour girl".
There are a few places you might look, and one place is on line.  Just type in "Alco" and you will have a pretty good head start.
DOn't forget; there were several major players in the diesel productions of yore; Alco being one of the biggies.
SGT C.

Len

If the cab has a center window on the front and back, so a crew member could look across the body roofline, you have either an ALCO RS-1, RS-2, or RS-3 road switcher.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jward

easiest way to tell the alco cab units is that most of them had a square grill around the headlight. Lehigh valley ran both the alco pa (passenger) and fa (freight) types. there were two basic types of fa's. the fa1 had the radiator at the rear of th locomotive, the fa2 had it inset from the ends a couple of feet. Bachmann makes the fa2, walthers trainline makes the fa1.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

trainmainbrian

Thanks for the help FOUND the 1 LOCO I was looking for it's a Alco RS-3.... Now what's the loco that looks like a F-7A but has a longer nose but made like a F-7's A's
If your not thinking of Model Railroading each day you must be having a bad day.....& do not leave your mind @ the station...

Len

The ALCO long nose cab unit designed for passenger service was the PA. There two basic models, the PA-1 with 2,000hp and the PA-2 with 2,250hp.

The shorter nose ALCO cab unit designed for freight service was the FA. Again ther were two basic models, the FA-1 and FA-2. Some later model FA-2's were lengthed so a steam generator could be added, and were redesignated as FPA-2's.

Both the PA and FA had a square grill around the headlight, which is the easiest way to tell an ALCO from an EMD cab unit.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trainmainbrian

Quote from: Len on January 12, 2015, 10:10:00 AM
The ALCO long nose cab unit designed for passenger service was the PA. There two basic models, the PA-1 with 2,000hp and the PA-2 with 2,250hp.

The shorter nose ALCO cab unit designed for freight service was the FA. Again ther were two basic models, the FA-1 and FA-2. Some later model FA-2's were lengthed so a steam generator could be added, and were redesignated as FPA-2's.

Both the PA and FA had a square grill around the headlight, which is the easiest way to tell an ALCO from an EMD cab unit.

Len

Thanks Len I need the PA-1 AlCO for my Passenger train.... Going to run the ALCO RS-3 & F-7 A for my Freight...

rogertra

You can also use steam generator equipped RS-2s and RS-3s on passenger service.  The D&H, for example, used RS-2s or RS-3s on the "Montrealer" before they acquired the PAs.

Cheers

Roger T.

trainmainbrian

Quote from: rogertra on January 12, 2015, 05:01:33 PM
You can also use steam generator equipped RS-2s and RS-3s on passenger service.  The D&H, for example, used RS-2s or RS-3s on the "Montrealer" before they acquired the PAs.

Cheers

Roger T.

PM sent to you