Converting Bachman DC engines to DCC

Started by brykevbo, January 12, 2015, 03:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brykevbo

New to the forum....Has there been any discussion on converting old style Spectrum DC engines to DCC?  I am talking about the ones with no provision fro DCC already on board.

ACY

Yes there has been lots of posts and discussion over the years. The general consensus is that if you are experienced and comfortable with hardwiring decoders then by all means go ahead and do it, otherwise you can buy the newer DCC versions (some even have sound) and part with the older locos. Or you can pay a shop to do the installs for you if you aren't experienced enough at this point to do them yourself.

Len

There probably has. The fastest way to find out is to do a search using key terms: Spectrum, Convert, DCC in either the HO or N forum, or both, depending on the scale you're doing.

The "search" button is in the middle of the bar just below the date and time at the top of the page.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

brykevbo

Thanks ACY and Len. I am confident enough to do the conversion, was just wandering if anyone has posted a "How to" segment. Ill refine my search and see what I come up with. Thanks!

AGSB

You Tube also has videos on installing DCC into Bachmann engines.

ACY

Quote from: brykevbo on January 12, 2015, 05:00:48 PM
Thanks ACY and Len. I am confident enough to do the conversion, was just wandering if anyone has posted a "How to" segment. Ill refine my search and see what I come up with. Thanks!
A late member here posted these instructions for the standard Bachmann Spectrum Analog locomotive this applies to other locomotive such as the early models of the Dash 8-40CW and other split frame designs.
http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/tmaster/tmaster.html

Druztrains

I have a new bachmann GP50 it has a DC dummy plug 8 pin socket but the dealer I bought it from told me he didn't think I could just plug a DCC decoder in and it would work on DCC so I'm wondering do I have to change board or not even though it is listed as a DC locomotive?????

rogertra

Does the label say "DCC Ready"?

If it has the eight pin plug I'd say it was DCC ready, that's what the eight pin plug is for.

Cheers

Roger T.

ACY

Quote from: Druztrains on February 08, 2015, 02:15:19 AM
I have a new bachmann GP50 it has a DC dummy plug 8 pin socket but the dealer I bought it from told me he didn't think I could just plug a DCC decoder in and it would work on DCC so I'm wondering do I have to change board or not even though it is listed as a DC locomotive?????
All you have to do is insert the decoder with the correct orientation and it will run on DCC.