First HO layout ready to finalize--any advice for this newcomer?

Started by kdgrant6, February 10, 2015, 09:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdgrant6

I have a 4x8 sheet of plywood with a 1" foam sheet underneath.  I'm using EZ Track.  I have an outside perimeter track that's flat and an inside one that takes a 3% incline using Woodland Scenics.  This inclined track does an over/under loop at one end of the layout.  I've used foam pins to stabilize the layout and test everything.  I'm still working with smoothing out several places in the EZ track, but for the most part this is what I want to commit to.

What's the next step? 

Here's what I'm planning.  I'll pin down the inclines to the foam board, place pins around the track at joints, and then run everything to make sure there are no glitches. 

Then I'll glue down the sides of the inclines with low temp glue, let it set, then glue down the track at the joints--or do you do the track differently?

After everything is set, I'll work with the landscape by adding foam boards to create the tunnels and the mountains.

Does this sound right?

Help!

Len

You might want to consider putting plaster cloth over the foam risers, with some crumbled news print paper alongside, to create a more natural hill effect before permanently installing the track.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Take the time to view the Woodland Scenics videos. I suggest the viewing not as products to buy but they may provide ideas or things you have not taken into consideration.

Click Here