News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

70Ton 3 truck Shay gears

Started by DAVE2744, January 12, 2015, 11:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAVE2744

Just replaced broken gears on my Shay, early production w/factory DCC&Sound.  Received parts on the morning of the 3rd business day!  Impressed.  What a value for the dollar.  The "parts" I ordered were side frames, gears, shafting - or so I thought.  What I got for $10 each, was a fully assembled side frame ready to screw onto the truck bolster.  It even had the correct slip joints and universals already installed.  Just a point of information, my Shay gave no evidence of cracked gears, it ran flawlessly.  After reading another posting, I got curious, and sure enough, 4 out of 6 gears were cracked.  I bought 3 sets, I don't think I'll be around for the change over of the third set!  Anyone with these Shays and cracked gears, don't hesitate to get the B'mann side frames.

DCLLines

I just replaced the side frames on my Shay like you said, thanks for the advice. Like you said the service was great. It took a bit of time to change the frames but it was worth the effort. I'm glad I read your post.  Now if I could get my Climax to work.

DAVE2744

DCLLines - glad everything worked out OK.  Can't help on the Climax, as I have not aquired one yet.  When I do, it will complete my geared loco set.

Barney R

Hi all,
I read this post and I went to the parts part of the site. I could only find 80 ton 3 truck Shay listed. Are there both 70 and 80 Shay? And if so, are the gear sets identical? Thanks

Barney R

Patrick Crone

I am just getting back into the hobby of HO trains.  I really love the 3 truck Shay and wanted to buy one but after doing some research, it seems that there is a major problem with the gears cracking.   Has Bachmann corrected the problem by replacing them with a better grade of plastic or metal gears?   

Len

Since the On30 and HO Shay's use the same drive train, the answer to your question is in a "General Discussion" forum sticky post here:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13307.msg107066.html#msg107066

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

DCLLines

Barney

I used them on mine, worked great

Barney R

Thank you for the answer DCLLines.

DAVE2744

In ref. to my original post, I went back and looked at the box, the Shay was actually 80 ton, not 70.  Eyes are not what they used to be. Sorry for the confusion.  The parts number I ordered was H81912.  Dave

Barney R

Thank You again DCLLines- I just ordered a set.