STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2020, 05:14:29 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  HO
| | |-+  70Ton 3 truck Shay gears
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 70Ton 3 truck Shay gears  (Read 3681 times)
DAVE2744

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:21:47 AM »

Just replaced broken gears on my Shay, early production w/factory DCC&Sound.  Received parts on the morning of the 3rd business day!  Impressed.  What a value for the dollar.  The "parts" I ordered were side frames, gears, shafting - or so I thought.  What I got for $10 each, was a fully assembled side frame ready to screw onto the truck bolster.  It even had the correct slip joints and universals already installed.  Just a point of information, my Shay gave no evidence of cracked gears, it ran flawlessly.  After reading another posting, I got curious, and sure enough, 4 out of 6 gears were cracked.  I bought 3 sets, I don't think I'll be around for the change over of the third set!  Anyone with these Shays and cracked gears, don't hesitate to get the B'mann side frames.
DCLLines

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 12:04:54 PM »

I just replaced the side frames on my Shay like you said, thanks for the advice. Like you said the service was great. It took a bit of time to change the frames but it was worth the effort. I'm glad I read your post.  Now if I could get my Climax to work.
DAVE2744

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 06:31:48 PM »

DCLLines - glad everything worked out OK.  Can't help on the Climax, as I have not aquired one yet.  When I do, it will complete my geared loco set.
Barney R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 01:17:52 AM »

Hi all,
I read this post and I went to the parts part of the site. I could only find 80 ton 3 truck Shay listed. Are there both 70 and 80 Shay? And if so, are the gear sets identical? Thanks

Barney R
Patrick Crone

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 01:59:05 PM »

I am just getting back into the hobby of HO trains.  I really love the 3 truck Shay and wanted to buy one but after doing some research, it seems that there is a major problem with the gears cracking.   Has Bachmann corrected the problem by replacing them with a better grade of plastic or metal gears?   
Len

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 02:36:37 PM »

Since the On30 and HO Shay's use the same drive train, the answer to your question is in a "General Discussion" forum sticky post here:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13307.msg107066.html#msg107066

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.
DCLLines

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 07:09:01 PM »

Barney

I used them on mine, worked great
Barney R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 11:17:03 PM »

Thank you for the answer DCLLines.
DAVE2744

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 10:51:52 PM »

In ref. to my original post, I went back and looked at the box, the Shay was actually 80 ton, not 70.  Eyes are not what they used to be. Sorry for the confusion.  The parts number I ordered was H81912.  Dave
Barney R

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 01:56:53 AM »

Thank You again DCLLines- I just ordered a set.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: