News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tweetsie #12

Started by keeping track, January 13, 2015, 03:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keeping track

Hello --

I'm new to this gauge, and will probably have a lot of (dumb?) questions, but for now I'm wondering if the Tweetsie engine #12 was ever made with anything other than the version 5 chassis, and what cars were included in the set(s) it came with?

Thanks in advance for the info! 

Chuck N

I may be wrong, Loco Bill or Wade will have a better answer, but I think that all the ten wheelers in the Big Hauler line are based on the tweetsie engine.

This is regardless of the lettering on the BH engine.

Chuck

keeping track

Chuck --

Thanks for responding so fast! 

Because I'm new to G scale and Bachmann, I think I should clarify what I'm trying to learn (as I noted before, I expect to make a lot of newbie mistakes just knowing what I should ask, let alone how to ask it) --

I've read that some engines such as the one in the B&O Royal Blue set have been made over such a long stretch, they come with versions 2 through 5 chassis.  So I am hoping to learn whether that is the case with the Tweetsie:  I'm pretty sure that it was last issued in a set in 2011 or 2012, which I'm assuming means that the engines in those sets had version 5.  But if the Tweetsie engine was first made before that, depending on how long before, I assume it could have earlier versions of the chassis.  From what I've read about the Big Hauler series, the version 5 chassis is a really good product that's a noticeable improvement over earlier versions, and I'd like to get a unit with it.   So I want to learn if I need to be concerned with determining which chassis a used Tweetsie has before I buy it. 

To avoid unnecessarily bothering folks on this board with such questions in the  future, I should probably ask if there's a listing anywhere of what Bachmann has issued and when, with any notes about what was included in sets, what chassis versions were used, etc.  (I'm thinking of info I've seen for Lionel equipment back in the world of O gauge.)

Thanks again in advance for the patience with the questions, and your help.

Chuck N

The engine in question is a narrow gauge engine.  That is 3' between the rails.  It has been lettered in many standard gauge (4' 8.5") railroads.  And made in all versions.

loco Bill has the best history of Bachmann products.  I'd expect him to chime in shortly.  He is the expert.

Chuck

armorsmith

To answer your direct question, yes I believe the Tweetsie set has been made in multiple chassis variations. I do not know the specifics and Bill or Wade will be far better to answer the specifics. Bachmann has for a long time continued to produce successful sellers as the product has improved over the years, so especially NTY (new to you) purchases can be risky if you don't know what you are looking for.

Chuck is correct in that the prototype Tweetsie #12 is the prototype Bachmann followed for the Big Hauler line of 4-6-0 locomotives, regardless of gauge or paint.

I would agree with the statement that the version 5 chassis is the best of the older line, however Bachmann has introduced a version 6 chassis that is the best of the line. I do not know if it will be offered in a Tweetsie configuration. The version 3 and version 4 chassis can, with a little effort on your part, be made quite reliable. Go to this site http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html where George has graciously posted many of his fixes for the short comings in manufacture.

As for 'stupid' or 'beginner' questions, bring them on. The only dumb question is the question you don't ask. Somewhere out there on this or one of the other great fora someone has the answer you seek. The best recommendation I can make is to poke around this forum (yes, you can get lost for hours) and see what information is here, trust me, there is plenty.  The other two forums I read regularly are Large Scale Central (www.largescalecentral.com) and My Large Scale ( www.mylargescale.com).  Garden Railways magazine also has a forum at http://grw.trains.com/.

Welcome aboard.

Bob C.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi All,

The following sets released in late 1999 were Version 5 Chassis 90031, 90032, 90033, 90034, 90035 and 90037.      

The Tweetsie set was one of those   and is equipped with the Version 5 chassis.  All sets produced after 2000 have the version 5 chassis.   The only 4-6-0 with the version 6 chassis were the Anniversary versions introduced in 2011.  The only difference in the mechanism between the version 5 & 6 is the fact that the version 6 has metal gears.  The only other difference on the version 6 chassis is the new style front truck.  To date we know of no version 6 chassis added to the Standard line Big Hauler 4-6-0 in sets.    We will have to wait and see if the Version 6 chassis will be added to set 4-6-0's at some future date.   So far we have not heard of any real problems with the version 6 chassis.

The version 5 chassis has been and is, a great almost bullet proof chassis (when well maintained) over the last 15 years.   I bought four back in 1999 and 2000 and have had no problems with any of them.                        

Welcome to you "keeping track"!!

Have fun with your trains, and ask anything you feel you need to know.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

keeping track

Thank you Loco Bill, Bob C. and Chuck for the info, advice and for making me feel welcome!

Chuck N

KT

Glad to be able to offer a little help.

Welcome to the Bachmann site.  There is a lot of help here and for non-Bachmann questions go to one of the other sites recommended by Bob.  I'm active on the My large scale site, I haven't been involved with the other site.  I've heard it is also an excellent site.  Visit both and enjoy the Large Scale hobby.

When you ask a question it doesn't matter which site, you might get multiple, often conflicting, answers.  We all have come to this hobby with different skills, experiences, knowledge, and not to be minimized, different parts of the country.  When you set up a layout outside, your regional climate will dictate what might work and what might not.

I strongly recommend making contact with a local club.  There are formal and informal groups all over the country.  If you tell us where you live, someone reading this thread will surely have some information on local contacts.  

Over the last 30 or so years I've been involved with Large Scalers in Colorado, northern Virginia, and Arizona (Prescott, Phoenix and Tucson).  My first outdoor layout was in Lakewood, Colorado (1983-1993).  I currently have a year around layout in Virginia and a temporary one on the patio in Sun City, Az, when we are out there in the late winter and early spring.

Chuck

A little more information on where I will be coming from when I try to answer a question.  All my layouts have been or now are analog DC track power.  My trains are 1:20.3, 1:22.5/24, and 1:29.  I rarely if ever will mix scales in a single operating session.  I have several locomotives that are set up for battery and RC operation.  That is so I can run trains on layouts that don't have track power.