News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Noob question about new engine

Started by njrunner, January 14, 2015, 04:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njrunner

Hi;
I have a Bachmann N scale set (Thunder Valley) that I have added some extra EZ Track to.  The engine and cars run fine, so I decided to buy another engine, the Bachmann Spectrum 85059 D8-40C Diesel Loco - DCC Ready.  I assumed I could just run this on my regular EZ Track, which I assume is AC power?  And I am also assuming this new loco only uses DC power because if I put it on the track it lights up, but doesn't move.  The manual says that means the track needs DC power.  Not sure what that is, or the difference.  Can someone please explain or point me to a page that will?

Sorry in advance for the noob question!

gatrhumpy

The trains need DC power. If you hooked up the AC portion of the power pack to the track, the engine is most likely damaged.

ACY

Bachmann has never made any N scale engines that run on AC. Trix may have made some, but that is not really relevant. The locomotive in your set is definitely a DC engine. As is the locomotive you purchased. Your problem could be with your new locomotive having a loose wire or other problems related to electrical pick up.

njrunner

The power pack is the one Bachmann ships with Thunder Valley, Bachmann 46605a.  It says this is a DC controller, with optional AC hookups for accessories.  I only connected the part that can connect to the track; the black piece that plugs into the EX Track power curve portion of track.  

I think I may have answered my question - since the Bachmann 46605a is a DC controller, I am using the right kind of controller?  And if the engine doesn't work, then it was a dud out of the box.

ACY

Quote from: njrunner on January 14, 2015, 05:18:27 PM
I am using the right kind of controller?  And if the engine doesn't work, then it was a dud out of the box.
Your power source was the correct one to use. The locomotive is not necessarily a "dud", it could be a quick and simple fix to get it running.

njrunner

Thanks for the input everyone!

When I say dud, I mean dud to me - it may be simple to fix, but I don't know where to start ;)

Well, I know where to start.  It came with an exploded diagram ...

njrunner

It does mention something about removing the body shell and making adjustments for DCC.   I'm savvy enough to know I'm not running DCC, and this is a DCC ready loco.  Is there an adjustment I have to make to remove the DCC component, so it runs like a regular, old-school loco?

ACY

Might I ask what store you bought this from or was it bought used or at a flea market?

njrunner

Quote from: ACY on January 14, 2015, 05:35:54 PM
Might I ask what store you bought this from or was it bought used or at a flea market?

Hi ACY;
I bought this on eBay, advertised as new and received shrink-wrapped and with that brand-new smell to it.  It truly looks brand new, never before been touched so I believe that was the original shrink wrap I removed (you never can tell with eBay)

kmcsjr

If it was me, Id return it as defective. But, if I had to keep it, Id read this http://spookshow.net/loco/bachdash8.html

Then I would post more questions here, if I wasnt comfortable making the adjustments.
if you are careful most diesel locomotives are easy to disassemble and reassemble. You might even enjoy the process.

James in FL

Hi njrunner,

A couple of thoughts...

You state when the loco is on the tracks, the headlight works yet the lokie does not move.
Although you state the locos was purchased NIB (it may well be) that means it sat on a shelf somewhere for about 12-15 years.
If this is the case, you can bet the factory grease has hardened and maybe keeping the loco from moving.
This will require a complete dis-assembly, clean, and re-lube.
While you have it apart, check the contact points, they can be polished with a pencil eraser.
Be careful here, they are delicate and repeated bending will cause them to break.
Easy doable even for a noob.
I would also inspect the axle wheel gears. They are prone to cracking and may need replaced.

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_70_85&products_id=250

I bought 2 of the earliest spectrum versions (with the exposed pivoting worm), when first released.
They have been run so much the plating is worn off the wheel treads.
I have had to replace two axle sets in one and one in the other.
Rapido's were replaced with MT 1134 IIRC.
They can crawl with the best of them, they still have that "Bachmann Buzz" when running at speed.

Look at the Spookshow site which was previously mentioned to determine which version you have.
We can go from there.

Good luck

njrunner

Thanks for all your help! 

The link to http://spookshow.net/loco/bachdash8.html helped me identify this is the 2003 version; I was able to remove the shell without unscrewing anything and the insides match the photo. 

Not knowing much about what I was doing, I was lucky to get it all back together with the parts intact :)  I cleaned up a couple things, made sure all the gears moved, but that's the extent of my knowledge.

I did notice this; when I move the wheels, the little motor drive in the middle of the assembly didn't move.  Aren't those gears from the wheels supposed to be touching the horizontal gear, which is attached to that main motor?  That seemed odd, but irrelevant, because the lights are getting power and the motor is not moving.  So those pesky wipers that spookshowI did notice and play with, but I don't think they are a problem because they are transferring power to the lights.

I did notice something odd; if I over-tighten the screws which hold the chassis together, not even the lights work.  So it's very touchy in there.

James in FL

Do you have access to a multimeter?

njrunner

I'm afraid I don't know what that is; I don't have very much electrical experience, but it seems I'm going to have to get some if I'm to learn this hobby correctly!

Thanks for all your help, but I've initiated a return on eBay.  They're usually pretty good about helping buyers out to get returns; I hate to give up because it is the coolest looking engine, but it's simply beyond my limited experience at this point.  Maybe a year from now I'll be able to fix problems like this :)

kmcsjr

Stick with it buddy! It's a great hobby. I strongly suggest limiting your ebay purchases to rolling stock (freight and passenger cars). Unless you are buying from someone with lots of locos and at least thousands of sales ie: a true online dealer. Used locos and locos listed as "new old stock" may be cheaper, but without the skills to really clean them up, they are often more trouble than they are worth. The spookshow site, is a great place to check before any purchase. I like to search ebay. They have the largest selection of everything ever released in N scale. I have at least 1 of every steamer Bachmann has released since 2004. I can't remember her name, but there is one dealer, that usually has prices at or below even my favorite etailer. She lists almost exclusively new Bmann stuff. The coolest ebay steamer I bought was the 2-10-2. Someone listed it as having only been used in an ad photo and the price was $50 less than any other one listed. It runs great. My only disappointment was the seller didn't respond to my request for where the ad was printed. i would have tried to get a copy. But, I ramble... Usually, after I search ebay, I google the item with the model number, when available. On items still available in stores, you would be amazed how often, I find the same item at a better price from a true etailer, or even a hobby shop.  I can't find a new model of the one you have online. Maybe pick a different Bachmann Diesel you like. If you are set on this model, other manufacturers have them in production now. They will run fine with your other Bmann stuff